Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Low & Forearm Muscle Tension

InTheBlack

I noticed today that I seem to be tensing the muscle on top of my strong side forearm when the shot breaks, and this is causing the muzzle to drop and the shot to go low.

Sometimes I guess the recoil gets to my "relaxed" muscle tone and causes this sudden tensing.

Next time I'll see what happens if I try to put some tension there while pointing.

I was wondering how much tension others feel in the forearm; maybe most people aren't as relaxed as I am. Maybe not.

So how do you mark messages to get an email when there are replies on this new server???

BE address this in his book. It depends on you. When I shoot groups I really grip the gun, when I shoot fast easy shots, I have a looser grip. It all depends on you and the shot you are making. I don't think there is a set rule, it is more dynamic.

This is something I have "issues" with. I dry fire about 40 minutes a day and tend to not grip my gun with my weak hand at the same level I do when I shoot. I get to the range and have big groups and misses on partials. As I apply more grip with my left hand my groups shrink. while I am a normal sized person I feel like I have to use quite a bit of pressure to have my best results. I really have to concentrate not to let that tension disrupt my draw speed, reloads and smooth transitions. Is this normal?

Nate, I have the same problem. Unless I grip hard with my weak hand, the sights don't come back quickly and my groups open up. The relaxed position feels good while I'm shooting but the results aren't there--too many misses. I think the problem involves my wrists breaking as the shots are fired (the relaxed position allows too much wrist movement). I'm experimenting with bowing my arms and turning my elbows out more, which seems to stiffen my wrists and provides more predictable shot placement. It's probably slower, but my hits are more consistent.