Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bushing or Bull

Shipster

I just bought a Para P14 that a friend started to build into a limited gun and all that is left for me to do is choose a barrel for it.  I can't decide if I want to go with a bushing barrel or a bull barrel.  So please give me some feed back.  Such as wear,  if the bushing wears loose I can have a new bushing installed, but what about the bull barrel?  Accuracy?

Thanks

(Edited by Shipster at 2:10 pm on Nov. 20, 2002)

Bull is the way to go - if a bushing offered an advantage, wouldn't Brian have one on his limited gun? There are only one or two makers who's bull barrels are large enough diameter to fit a Para - do a search on Para to find out which one.

Not trying to advertise or anything, but I shoot a P-16/40 with a bull from Dawson Precision in TX.  It works well.

Just out of curiosity, do bulls-eye pistol shooters mostly use bushings or bulls?  Seems like I have seen most of the "accurate" pistol setups with bushings.

Thanks, WayneB.

I've said this xxxxx times before, but somehow this info is always lost: If you want a bull for a Para slide, the Ed Brown is your *ONLY* choice!!!! No other bull barrel has the large external diameter to fit the loose Para slides. Yes, you  might get lucky and have a tight Para slide, but that would be pure luck. For Para slides, the Schuemann, Briley, Nowlin etc asf are *all* too small. And the Ed Brown is a good barrel, too.... Dawson doesn't manufacture their own barrels, I think they use Jarvis, dunno about external dimensions...Dave, we know you're here, wanna comment?

--Detlef

(Edited by Detlef at 4:03 pm on Nov. 22, 2002)

The Ed Brown is a good barrel and fits the Para well but it doesn't have the weight of a Schuemann, Nowlin, etc. which is why many go with a bull barrel.  The barrel tapers on the top and bottom unlike the others that do not taper on the bottom.  The SS .40 Ed Brown I have is the same weight as a carbon steel .45 barrel.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got a Dawson Bull in my P-14 and like it.  There is not a lot of difference in the weight compared to the combination I was running before with the fat body Wilson guide rod, but even then the gun is softer shooting.  The reason is that I am now able to run a softer recoil spring.  As far as I’m concerned the reduction in recoil spring IS the big deal with a bull barrel.

• 13 years later...