Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frames & magazines

Detlef

Thinking about replacing my oldoldold Para frame for my .40 Limited, I noticed that I'm not up to date about what's on the market, and which magazines fit. I have so much investment in Para mags that any new frame must fit them:

Frame                           mag type

STI                                STI/SV

SV                                 STI/SV

CMC                              STI/SV

Para                              Para/STI-for-Para

Bul                                 ???

Enterprise                     ???

Springfield                     ???

Is this correct? Who can fill in the "???"? Any opinions about what's the best wide-body replacement frame taking Para mags?

--Detlef

Hey detlef,

I think you can use Para mags in a BUL frame, I think but I'm not sure it works for the entreprise too.

For the SA, I think TGO uses SV mags, let's ask him or maybe brian knows it.

A friend of mine uses SV mags in his paraord frame, it works great after very little work.

Bul frame will works, but il will be lighter than your old para frame, maybe the entreprise or the SA.

Or maybe you can ask Sandy Strayer to design a grip that will fit your mags

DVC

Julien

In one of the other posts, TGO uses SVI mags with a modified mag release for his Springfield. The BulM5 will use Para mags with the special Para/BulM5 mag release on CRSpeed's website and Bulm5's website.

I believe the ENterprise Arms frame also takes Para mags.

Although repeating some of the above:

Bul/Kimber    will take Para mags with the right magcatch, such as the one sold by CR speed

Enterprise    will take Para mags (at least a guy here has one that does, no problem)

Springfield    will take Para mags without modification (2 here do anyway)    I believe TGO uses SV mags mostly but will use a Para mag every once in a while because of the round advantage.  Search through his posts for that one.  

I think the "best" would be the Springfield.  Forged frame and closer tolerances etc.  However, they won't sell just a frame and only offer it in .45.   So it's either a custom shop gun ($2300+), buy a new .45 and chunk lots of parts, or try and find a used one and chunk lots of parts.  

I think Bul's are good quality but a lot lighter weight.  I would want to shoot one first.

I think Para/Enterprise are same level.  The Enterprise has a squared trigger guard.  Someone said they are hard to find now I think?  

Well, that's my $.02 on the subject anyway.

The Bulm5/Kimber poly will take Para mags with the rescomp mag catch.... and a lot of fitting. Its your choice, either tune the mags to the catch like the instructions say to do. Or remove metal from the catch, as I chose to do. When you remove metal from the mag, they will probably  no longer be Para compatable.

Guest bulm5

I am using a BUL m5 40 cal with para mags. You  have to use a rescomp mag catch available through brownell's or from dawson. You have to do soem fitting on the mags however. NOthing major, 600 grit emery did the trick for me.

FYI, the new model BULs have frames that will accept SVI mags without modification. Just wish someone would start importing them. EAA only offers them in .45.

Matt VDW,

I can't think of any other mags that work with the Caspain double-stacks.  As you likely know, the Caspain double-stacks are smaller in the grip area than others.

On a different note...I am in Columbus.  Would I know you from any of the local matches?  (I recognize you from the other shooting forums.)

• 7 months later...

I've got another one here. A friend of mine owns a Llama 45 in a wide-body. At first glance, the mags look very much like Para Ord 45 mags. Will Para 45s fit in his gun? I don't own any Para mags to compare with, so I'm asking, does anyone here have experience dealing with magazines for these Llama 45 cal. pistols?

With a little work on the mag catch slot, I've made .45 Para mags fit a Llama.  out of 12 factory mags that worked perfectly in three different Paras, only two would "drop in" the Llama...close out of the box, but no cigar.

Alex

• 1 year later...

I'll try this again, somehow my post are not going through.

Am I understanding that the Para .45 high cap mag will work in Wilson's KZ-45 (polymer frame)? I have five of the high caps and a 10 round. I really like wilson's guns and Will buy the KZ-45 if my mags will work.

Thanks, Buddy