Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Gun

Hi all,

I've been to Brian's site before, but never saw the forum. Good stuff.

I'm a new member of USPSA and will shoot my third IPSC match on the 9th.

I shoot a Sig P226ST in .40 S&W. I really like it and I think I do o.k. with it. I am curious though. If any of you Shoot Sigs in Production, what modifications, within the rules of course, have you made? I realize this is a very narrow are for a Production gun.

Hello and welcome! There are a few of us that shoot Sigs in production. It's a "run what you got" division, so you'll be OK to start.

Let me first suggest you use the "search" feature in the upper right hand corner of the forum. There is a veritable lifetime of info here, all you really have to do is look. If you can't find what you're looking for after searching, ask again.

As for what mods are common to sigs, new sights, grip tape and a worked over trigger are probably the most common and most useful. In my opinion, to shoot the Sig well, you need to go to the range and put some lead in the berm. The DA/SA trigger puts you at a slight disadvantage VS. the striker fired pistols, but with practice you can do quite well for yourself as a beginning USPSAer. I suggest dryfire practice as well. Getting used to the heavy Sig double action pull is paramount for shooting it accurately!

Also, search for Steve Anderson's "Refinement and Repetition" book here on the forum. It has a great set of dryfire routines for the beginning shooter. Also, I would suggest purchasing Brian's book "Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals" Those books will do more for your shooting than any amount of do dads and gunsmith work will ever accomplish.

Welcome to the forum!

traxman

I shoot a Sig P226 Navy in Production. I had Bruce Gray do his competition and reliablilty work to it. The trigger reset is about 60-70% shorter than it was originally from the factory. I installed a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight and I removed the vertical white bar on the factory rear sight. I have TruGrip on the grip panels, and I put skateboard tape on the front strap and under the trigger guard.

mattk

P226Navy1small.jpg

I shoot a Sig P226 Navy in Production. I had Bruce Gray do his competition and reliablilty work to it. The trigger reset is about 60-70% shorter than it was originally from the factory. I installed a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight and I removed the vertical white bar on the factory rear sight. I have TruGrip on the grip panels, and I put skateboard tape on the front strap and under the trigger guard.

mattk

P226Navy1small.jpg

HuskySig,

I could be wrong here but I don't think the 226 Navy is on the approved list. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it wasn't on the list because Sig has not asked for USPSA to add it.... Just FYI

Edited by Bryan W

I could be wrong here but I don't think the 226 Navy is on the approved list. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it wasn't on the list because Sig has not asked for USPSA to add it.... Just FYI

It's a standard 9mm DA/SA P226 with an anchor emblem on the slide and a special serial number. What's to be approved?

mattk

It's a standard 9mm DA/SA P226 with an anchor emblem on the slide and a special serial number. What's to be approved?

mattk

I don't disagree with the fact that it's standard 226 -

Just passing along the information

226 Navy is NOT approved for USPSA production AFAIK, as its not on the list.

For IPSC Production it is specifically NOT approved.

Not Approved:

P220 X-Zone, P220 Sport, P226 Navy, P226 HSP, P226 Sport, P226 Sport II SL mit Schiene, P226 X-Five, P226 X-Five Competition, P226 X-Six, P226R Crimson Trace

As to why I'm not sure. The Navy is as you say basically the same, with a different markings, and a different coatings on internal parts.

[iPSC]Due to different external markings, its not considered identical to the 226R/AL SO.[iPSC]

Here's the link for approved pistols: :here:. Hope that helps. I did find it a tad odd that there are other models of the 226 approved, but not a blanket approval for all 226's. Kinda odd, but what do I know? :rolleyes:

Edited by Lighteye67

I doubt you'll have any trouble with it at the local level...if it's essentially a stock uncomped sig, you should be fine til you get to an area match. Unless that anchor is an external weight? :)

As far as shooting a DA pistol, it's only as big a deal as you make it. You'll avoid longer shots for the first shot, but you should strive to make even that a non-issue. When I abonded the beretta for the xd, the grip shape was a bigger factor than the DA trigger. There's no question it's more complicated than a striker gun, but it need not be a deal breaker.

With the beretta, I used to do a walkback drill where I started at 5-7 yards, drew and fired two on paper, then walked back to he next yard line and repeated with a decocked gun. It taught me loads about the da/sa transition and burned the DA shot into the SC, where it belongs.

SA

I shoot a Sig P226 Navy in Production. I had Bruce Gray do his competition and reliablilty work to it. The trigger reset is about 60-70% shorter than it was originally from the factory. I installed a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight and I removed the vertical white bar on the factory rear sight.

If I may ask, what did that run you to have that done by Bruce?