Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which scope/brand I dont know about optics

I just bought a Remington 700 VS in .308 this is my first "long range" target gun, until now I have mostly shot pistols and AR's. I have never really bought any optics before. From looking around and reading I think I want either a Bushnell or Leupold. I was thinking a 4x12 , with easy adjustments. Money is not an issue; however I'm not inclined to spend a lot more on a scope than I paid for the gun.

A little help here

thanks

however I'm not inclined to spend a lot more on a scope than I paid for the gun.

There's no substitute for good glass.... especially on a long range gun. Its not unusual to spend more on the glass than the gun, for that very reason.... just for whatever that's worth ;)

Money is not an issue; however I'm not inclined to spend a lot more on a scope than I paid for the gun.

When I first started I was in the same boat as you, and don't blame you at all.. I thought it was ABSOLUTELY preposterous to spend more money than on my rifle - but I trusted my friend who taught me what to get. As was previously mentioned this idea of buying a scope that is more expensive your gun is quite accepted.

I still think it was the right train of thought and have no regrets. Your mileage may vary.

If money is an option you 'should' at least buy a scope that is comparably the same price as your rifle. My first bolt action was a 700 PSS. Might I recommend a Leupold mark 4: 4.5x14x50mm

I've used Leupolds for years and currently have several, including a VXIII 6.5 x20 on a Rem 700 .308. It is very consistent, clear & bright, and the adjustments are repeatable...which is all I require out of a scope. I think Leupolds hit a good quality vs. price point and are a good value,and their service is great if you ever want to add target turrets or need to have it re-built. Be sure to mount the rings and scope properly (in alignment with no stresses applied to the scope) and use an even torque on the screws (using a torque driver is recommended). I've seen some folks have repeatability problems which were originally blamed on the scope, but turned out to be improper installation of the scope (misaligned rings or over torqued screws. Another thing I do is apply a little dab of white out on the ring screws as witness marks so it's easy to see if one has loosened. Using a touch of purple or blue locktite works well on the screws if backing out is a problem.

Enjoy and shoot the heck out of it! :)

+1 on what Bamboo said...

To add you might want to consider investing in some good rings and a good base for your scope - you can get them used at a great price from snipershide.com - most of those guys sell these great accessories not because they are crap but because they are upgrading to something better - so that holds some reassurance for me.

Might I suggest some Badger Ordinance mounts and rings.

(They also have great faqs on how to mount your scope properly on their site)

Skimping on these items is like buying cheap wheels for your sportscar or buying cheap ammo for your bolt rifle. It will work yeah but you won't unlock the full potential of your setup.

Nothing less than a Leupy is worth it on a rifle.

Cheap glass is not worth bothering with.

For 600 yards and under, the VariX III in 3.5x10 with a 40mm objective and target knobs would be a good choice.

• 1 year later...
...I think I want either a Bushnell or Leupold...

No, you emphatically DON'T want a Bushnell... :sick:

well over all i agree with you. but the Bushnell Elite scopes are pretty good. the 3200's are tough scope's that have good glass for a fair price, and the 4200's are great scopes. but for the price of the 4200 you could get a nice Leupold.