Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Magwell Question

A_Med

I did a search and found tons of posts that say for IDPA with an STI 2011 frame, use the SV Magwell with 126 Mags and the Dawson Wedge Pads to fit the box. Well I did all of this and my mags will not seat. The Dawson Pads are hitting the sides of the SV Magwell. I didn't see anybody else mention needing to do any fitting with this combo so what's wrong with mine??? I hate to have to take material off the magwell because it has a PVD Coating on it. The Pads are anodized red so that would suck too. Any thoughts?

Thanks ,

Angel

svmagwell2.jpg

svmagwell1.jpg

New magwell... If you are not too attached to the SV.

I got the STI magwell (in Aluminium) and just went nuts with a belt sander until the ODs fit the box (then I took off a little more). I have the Dawson pads as well and they fit fine in the well.

The first major match I went to they looked at me funny. When I got to the stage with the box the SO didnt think it would fit. I slid that sucker right in the box and said, "fits like a glove." Then I hosed down the stage (for expert class).

I am not sure if the stainless well would put you over weight but if it didnt it would be a sweet setup.

If you want to go the STI well route let me know and I can post details on how to sand the thing down.

Off to contemplate the stainless well...

Hello: Like the post above I use a STI magwell that I milled the sides off and a little off the bottom. It looks great. I have tried the SVI magwell and you will have to bevel the base pads to make them fit. Those nice red base pads will look scratched up after falling a couple of times anyways ;-) I would modify the base pads not the magwell. The hard anodizing on the magwell will protect it for a while. You could also use the plastic base pads but will have to modify them as well. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Like the post above I use a STI magwell that I milled the sides off and a little off the bottom. It looks great. I have tried the SVI magwell and you will have to bevel the base pads to make them fit. Those nice red base pads will look scratched up after falling a couple of times anyways ;-) I would modify the base pads not the magwell. The hard anodizing on the magwell will protect it for a while. You could also use the plastic base pads but will have to modify them as well. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Well I am certainly not against pulling out the Dremel if needed. I was just surprised I didn't see more about this in previous posts. In looking at the basepads it doesn't look like there is much material you can take off before you get to the groove that holds them on. Any idea how much material you had to take off to make them work with the SV magwell.

Angel

Hello: To remove the material I would use a belt sander or a Milling machine. You will have to see where they are hitting the magwell and at what angle. Then you just have to remove where required. I have to do this on my project STI 9mm for IDPA I will be working on next week. If I get a chance I will look at it this evening. Thanks, Eric

I have SV basepads and a STI standard magwell. They work great for me and fit the gun. I don't know about the box, if they will fit, but I was told they will.

I would just get an STI magwell and it should fit. I have a black one that came on my gun. It is an STI tactical. I was thinking about getting the stainless one but it is 80bucks. The black one I think is around 40, but I could be mistaken. It you want to buy my black one, I may sell it to you so I could get the stainless one.

Redwoods

The STI standard magwells I have seen/used will not fit in the IDPA box I think they do fit in the IPSC standard box though. They are too wide for the lid to close. I cannot remember how much wider they are but it is somewhere in the ballpark of 1/8"-1/4". I also had to trim a little off the heal so it would fit comfortably and allow me to get it out with some speed.

I am pretty sure the Krebs plastc well also fits with no mods.

The one thing I do not like about the aluminium wells is that once the coating is off they ding up really easily.

From the picture you posted it looks like the basepad is NOT fully seated on the tube. Make SURE the pad sits as far forward as possible (the rear of the pad should touch the rear of the magazine).

Might just be the angle of the picture. It's fully seated. It just don't fit in the SV Magwell. I have an STI magwell so I think what I'll do is grind on that one first and re-finish it. I don't want to grind on the basepads. I'll update soon.

Angel

Hello: I will trade you my STI modified IDPA magwell for your 2 magwells. The one I have is aluminum and was machined to fit "the box". It is black and in great condition. How are your magwells? Let me know if you are interested. I am trying to use one magwell for IDPA and one for USPSA. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I will trade you my STI modified IDPA magwell for your 2 magwells. The one I have is aluminum and was machined to fit "the box". It is black and in great condition. How are your magwells? Let me know if you are interested. I am trying to use one magwell for IDPA and one for USPSA. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the offer Eric but I have other uses for the SV Magwell and plan to keep it. The STI magwell I have is pretty beat up but once I machine it and re-finish it will be good as new.

Angel

Hello: I will trade you my STI modified IDPA magwell for your 2 magwells. The one I have is aluminum and was machined to fit "the box". It is black and in great condition.

Eric,

Hi, new here to this forum. I am looking for a black machined magwell that will fit into an IDPA box, if you are interested in selling it, I am interested.

Andy: I may sell it. The sides are machined as well as part of the bottom. The machined parts are aluminum color and the rest is black. I have a IDPA match this weekend so will need it for that but after that we can talk. Thanks, Eric