Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock frame mods/stippling

Glockster35

• 1 month later...

It is grooved, I simply used a Craftsman soldering iron ($19.99) and it came with 4 crafters styled tips. To do this job, I used a thin tip and went to work. My goal was to make grooves in the grip, to simulate a so called "Beaver Skin" I had seen someone else do. All it takes is a bit of forethought before you start working. I used a dremel to get rid of the finger grooves, and to assist in rounding the trigger guard.

The bottom of the trigger guard has what I call "tire tread texturizing or "TTT" I will try to get better pictures of the textures once the sun comes out. It's been dark and dreary the last few days. I would like to try the "TTT" on an entire grip, because I think it has more grippiness to it. But I am hesitant to do it on my Gen 2 Glock 23.

G35-Trigger%20Guard004.JPG

G35-Trigger%20Guard001.JPG

This is what I did to my Glock 17 which is my teaching, training and fun gun. I used it in Production class before I stippled and I will use it again next year if the the proposed rules are placed into effect. Until then, I shoot it in Limited, and take the minor scoring hit.

Stippled%20012.jpg

Stippled%20011.jpg

Stippled%20006.jpg

Stippled%20008.jpg

My hands are oily so the factory grip sucks and I wore out grip tape so fast that I had to replace it weekly. This may not be pretty, but it feels close to 25 lpi checkering on a metal gun.

Jon

This is what I did to my Glock 17 which is my teaching, training and fun gun. I used it in Production class before I stippled and I will use it again next year if the the proposed rules are placed into effect. Until then, I shoot it in Limited, and take the minor scoring hit.

My hands are oily so the factory grip sucks and I wore out grip tape so fast that I had to replace it weekly. This may not be pretty, but it feels close to 25 lpi checkering on a metal gun.

Jon

Was that also done with a soldering iron?

Was that also done with a soldering iron?

Yup, cheap one from Radio Shack. Used the standard pointy tip.

Hey Zen I didn't know that Glocks are suppose to be pretty- ha ha

They are ugly aren't they. It's why I didn't care about taking a soldering iron to the gun.

Jon

I guess it depends on what division you are specific to, but I'm not a fan of the the grip stippling. When I had SJC build my open Glock, I specifically had them leave that part out. I built my grip out of epoxy putty, oil based paint and sand. Got the idea from Saul Kirsch's book. With the right amount of "practice", you can achieve a final product that perfectly fits your perfectly fits your hand. The feeling is crazy. Every time I pick my open gun up, its like I am putting on a pair of gloves. The difference in recoil control/manipulation of the gun is worlds away from the original Glock grip. The best part is...unlike a grip stippling job, it is not permanent. I can shuck the epoxy off with a flat tip screw driver if I want.

Kinda hard to see because everything is black. I built up the grip to fit my hands and I also have a thumbrest built up on the right side (I'm a lefty). The grit on the sand is very nice, every bit as good as any skatetape or tru grip. I also applied the same thing to my mag extensions. You can do the same thing without using the epoxy putty and get a nice grip on the regular Glock frame.

If anyone is going to try this, I would suggest a couple of things. First, get some Play-Doh and practice first. Make sure you know what size balls of putty and where your are going to use them. Second, when you start working with the epoxy, wrap your grip up in Scotch tape first, then start working with the epoxy and paint. This way if you are not happy with what you have done, its a lot easier to get off. You can also test fire the gun this way. When you finally figure out what you want to do for a final product, dont use the Scotch tape. When I test fired the new grip with the tape underneath, the grip fell off after about 20 rounds. It was enough for me to decide I liked it though.

**Edited to add: Make sure you pay attention to where your mag release comes through the right side of the grip also, very easy to epoxy shut your mag release. :lol:

post-6880-1185982207.jpg

post-6880-1185982216.jpg

post-6880-1185982222.jpg

post-6880-1185982227.jpg

post-6880-1185982234.jpg

post-6880-1185982241.jpg

Edited by Airic

I guess it depends on what division you are specific to, but I'm not a fan of the the grip stippling. When I had SJC build my open Glock, I specifically had them leave that part out. I built my grip out of epoxy putty, oil based paint and sand. Got the idea from Saul Kirsch's book. With the right amount of "practice", you can achieve a final product that perfectly fits your perfectly fits your hand. The feeling is crazy. Every time I pick my open gun up, its like I am putting on a pair of gloves. The difference in recoil control/manipulation of the gun is worlds away from the original Glock grip. The best part is...unlike a grip stippling job, it is not permanent. I can shuck the epoxy off with a flat tip screw driver if I want.

That sounds really interesting. Can you share your recipe for the sand putty, especially the proportions of the ingredients?

Its really easy to do. You'll need:

2 packages of Loctite epoxy putty rolls (about $3.50 a roll)

Craft sand any color ( I bought 1lb for $2.00, you only need a couple ounces)

Oil based paint ( I bought a small can of Rustoleum black paint for $5.00)

Paint brushes ( I used a 1/2 in. wide and 1/4 inch wide)

Like I said in the earlier post, practice first so that you know what porportions of putty to use where. I basicly took about an inch of the putty roll and mixed it together. I started on the left side of the grip first working up the amount I needed for my strong hand. Add or take off as much as you need until it feels good to you when you grip the gun strong hand only (keep you hand a little damp with a cloth so that you dont stick to the putty). I would let that dry for 24 hours then start on finger grip at the front of the gun grip. Take another small piece and start working up your finger grip so that your fingers on your strong hand have a nice molded groove for your strong hand fingers. Let that dry for about 24 hours.

I then worked on my weak hand side. For me, when I grip the gun I have a lot of open space that could be filled in my weak hand palm. I work the weak hand side up, paying special attention to where the mag release comes through the grip. I use an additional small piece on top of the one I just finished to build up a flat thumb rest for my strong hand. I left the backstrap area on the back of the grip alone, It didnt feel comfertable to me to add any material there. Let all that dry for about 24 hours. When dry it will be hard as a rock and look like a bunch of white clumps on the grip.

I then use the 1/2 in. brush to paint the grip with the oil based paint. Have a little tub of sand there ready to apply. I paint one side of the grip, and while its still wet start sprinkling sand on the paint until the sand no longer sinks into the paint. It will appear like you have dry sand on your grip when its right. Do this to the whole grip and anywhere else that you need a little grit. Let that dry for about 8 hours or so. When you come back to it, use a brush or paintbrush to knock off all the loose sand that is left over. Clean it up good with the brush. Next you want to apply a very light coat of paint to the same areas, just enough to cover the sand and lock it into the grip. Let all that dry and you should be good to go.