Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about brass cleaning

I decap the cases after I run them through the tumbler. MY reason for doing it this way is that the decapping pin also pushes out any cleaning media that gets stuck in the flash hole. Kills 2 birds with one one so to speak.

I found if I decapped before cleaning I ended up having to clear stuck media from the case.

That's what works for me.

dont worry about primer area unless you are dealing with crimped primers, pas44 is right on, use corncob media and add a lttle tumbler polish to media. dont waste money on treated media

+1 on decapping after tumbling and not worrying about cleaning the primer pocket. I use ground walnut hulls purchased from any pet store (used as rodent bedding I think) and Nu Finish car polish as the media polish liquid.

I don't mess with primer pocket prep on my pistols. I tumble, then just run them through the 650. I do use that lyman one shot case lube, it seems like it slicks things up a bit. I do a bunch of primer pocket/flash hole prep stuff on my bench guns :wacko: but I just let it ride with pistols.

The absolute best way to clean a primer pocket is to use a Ultrasonic cleaner. Next you can use a hand tool. Liquids are good for removing loose stuff. but if you are not reloading for bench rest accuracy. There is no point. Unless you are using a powder trickler for every charge the consistency you would gain by cleaning the primer pocket will be covered up by the inconsistency of your powder charge.

The absolute best way to clean a primer pocket is to use a Ultrasonic cleaner. Next you can use a hand tool. Liquids are good for removing loose stuff. but if you are not reloading for bench rest accuracy. There is no point. Unless you are using a powder trickler for every charge the consistency you would gain by cleaning the primer pocket will be covered up by the inconsistency of your powder charge.

so if i hear you correctly no big deal ... and if i am worried about it i could just hit them with an ultrasonic ... filled with a liquid cleaner every 3-4 reload??????

so if i hear you correctly no big deal ... and if i am worried about it i could just hit them with an ultrasonic ... filled with a liquid cleaner every 3-4 reload??????

You could do that if you wanted. As long as the flash hole is clear and the primer will seat correctly there is no need to clean the primer pocket. It certainly wont hurt to clean the primer pockets. It is just a extra step that is not really necessary that takes up time. The only time I clean primer pockets is when I am loading for extreme accuracy with my Rem 700.

And then its all done on a single stage press anyway. and only 50-100 rounds at a time. I feel that for bulk reloading that is really a waste of time.

My experience with primer pockets was that the gunk does not build up over additional reloads.

You will have the same amount of crust in the pocket from once fired, or a case that has been fired many times without cleaning the pocket. My theory is that each new primer blows the old gunk away, and deposits a fresh coat. Cleaning the pockets is pointless.

Primer residue contains lead, if you try to scrape it out, your lead exposure may be greatly increased.

My experience with primer pockets was that the gunk does not build up over additional reloads.

You will have the same amount of crust in the pocket from once fired, or a case that has been fired many times without cleaning the pocket. My theory is that each new primer blows the old gunk away, and deposits a fresh coat. Cleaning the pockets is pointless.

Primer residue contains lead, if you try to scrape it out, your lead exposure may be greatly increased.

+1 Forget about it unless your primers are not seating properly. Just another step that makes a mess.