Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruined a couple of mags today...did I?

mike cyrwus

I purchased some SPS for para mags off of the classifieds and all of them were way too big, from front to back. I had to squeeze them down about .012" for them to drop free. The last two I was squeezing and they cracked along their welds in a few spots, not all the way down the mag

I noticed that the sps mags are welded from two separate stampings; and there are both front and back welds. Are S_I mags two piecers too?

I wonder if silver brazing will fill the cracks with sufficient strength?

Hello: You have two choices well actually more than that ;-). You could silver solder them and they will be fine or you could have them tig welded. You could also leave them alone to see if they will work for you first then fix them. Are those mags plated or chromed perhaps? Thanks, Eric

They need to be tig welded if you want them to hold up.

All of the quality double stack mags for Para and S_I are two piece, cracking them when reshaping them isn't all that uncommon.

They need to be tig welded if you want them to hold up.

All of the quality double stack mags for Para and S_I are two piece, cracking them when reshaping them isn't all that uncommon.

Yes they are polished stainless;

-and thanks hsmith, its reassuring that they occasionally crack; I try hard not to be a hack.

Good news is that 4 of 6 are tuned and working well.