Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visa, no Green card

Catfish

Our club has a request from someone with a visa, but no green card.

Is he legally allowed to participate in a shooting match?

thx

Edited for my own idiocy.... :blink:

Edited by Catfish

Our club has a request from someone with a green card, but no visa.

Is he legally allowed to participate in a shooting match?

Heck yes. A Green Card means that the only thing he can't do is vote. This is someone in line for citizenship should he so choose after a certain number of years. A GC means he is a permanent LEGAL resident.

And how in the world would you know he has a Green Card, you ask that kind of stuff?

And, DOH! I'm a moron. I went back to respond to his email and saw that I got it backwards - it's my dyslexia, yeah that's it...

He's got a Visa, no green card.

Gads sometimes I wonder why I get out of bed. :huh:

And, DOH! I'm a moron. I went back to respond to his email and saw that I got it backwards - it's my dyslexia, yeah that's it...

He's got a Visa, no green card.

Gads sometimes I wonder why I get out of bed. :huh:

We get shooters from all over the world on a regular basis, a visa question has never come up - a non issue.

If the guy is a shooter he is a shooter - always fun when someone from someplace else shows up.

Edited by Viggen

<_<:blink: I run a small club and IF i had to check shooters for leagal status, that would realy put me off. ... Shooters drive to the range, I don't check that their drivers licence is up to date.

But, If, someone told me they were breaking the law to shoot a match I would not let them shoot, but that is not even close to checking up on them. :blink:

To reinforce what others have said, yes he can shoot on a visa (called a non-immigrant visa). He cannot however, legally purchase a gun without a green card or citizenship. There are some exceptions if you have as hunting permit etc. But I'm not sure if that law is still in effect.

Answers may be found in the BATFE publication regarding non-immigrants purchasing and posessing firearms

There are other restrictions in at least one state. For example, a non-citizen (even w/green card) living in Massachusetts may only obtain a license for a low capacity rifle (such as the Barret M82A1), but may not obtain a license to possess a handgun or rifle capable of accepting a > 10 round magazine (such as the Ruger 10/22). If that non-citizen lives outside Massachusetts (including foreign countries), (s)he may mail order a Massachusetts license that covers high capacity rifles and handguns (assuming the applicant can find a MA certified instructor to give them a state accepted course). If this does not make any sense to you, you have probably read it correctly :).

Visa, Mastercard, who cares if they don't have American Express. Most shooters pay cash... :rolleyes:

That was my first response when I saw the title as well. Glad to see I'm not alone.