Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gee, I hate to read horror stories <_<

At our local matches, we will have fm 10-30 shooters at at match. Usually about 10 shooters per squad. It's not written down anywhere but, everyone pastes targets, everyone sets steel, and everyone picks up brass. It is assumed that you want your brass back unless told otherwise. New shooters generally don't reload so some of the older hands get some new brass. But everyone has the option.

At larger matches you expect to lose your brass... It is noted before everyone starts. But at the local level, even with 10-15 squad members, taping and brassing shouldn't ever be an issue.

It's a courtesy thing. My Mama taught it to me :) (and my Daddy reinforced my Mama's lessons :lol: )

FWIW

dj

97% of us don't pick up brass. 1% who do are Open shooters who enlist the aid of their friends to shag it quick. 2% do nothing else between shooters besides pick up brass for themselves. The majority of those who want their brass wait until the end of the match. I reload my major .40 brass 5 - 8 times, then leave it on the ground to split for someone else. It's marked, so they have fair warning...My knees aren't up to the task.

At IDPA and a local outlaw match they still shag brass between shooters as far as I know.

At practice, my deal with my wife is I pay for everything, clean everything, load all the ammo, teach her what little I know, tweak the guns, and load her 15 ungodly difficult to load Glock Limited mags in exchange for her picking up the brass with help from my daughter.

We have two"brass chickens" who will pick up the brass around your feet while you are loading up.I have been tempted to step on their hands or fingers several times. <_<

In ABQ matches, most everyone has to pick brass, paste or reset every after every shooter and every stage.

At Tuesday Night Steel in Mesa it is the same.

In LA, well it is darn near impossible to find brass in the long grass.

However, I have been in matches in WA and CA where it is pretty hard to get people to pick brass. Because of the open squadding in some CA matches, people waiting refuse to help out any other squad. They only work for themselves.

I am fortunate to have buckets (and buckets but can always get more) of once fired .40 from the Border Patrol and I have not picked up a piece of brass at any match in two years.

Part of my QC process is to mark my loaded ammo. That way I know it has been eyeballed by me to ensure it is good. I mark it and have no intention of getting it back. I don't pick up brass but will focus on the taping and steel if someone else wants to. I typically let one of the people who are brassing on my squad know my color mark, that the brass is 2x fired and that they are welcome to it.

Neal in AZ

• 4 weeks later...

I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I've only been in the sport a couple of months and have only been to a few matches. but what I've learned is that everyone is supposed to help run the stage. Somebody usually has the pasters in hand so I pick up brass, plus the bending and squatting is exercise i could use. I pick up my brass and anyone else's that is laying around. I mark my brass so it's easy for me to find. Usually after the first stage you know who wants their brass back and from what I've seen, I get most of mine back( that can be found) and I give what isn't mine back to the owner. simple..

Of course I've also seen people stand at the back between stages not helping, but that is another thread.... :)

Wanna get 100% of your brass back? MOONCLIPS!! Us moonclipped revolver guys get it ALL back!!! :P

...and for some reason, everyone, yes EVERYONE wants to be the ones to shag our brass!

At some of our locals, we usually grab what we can on the fly and then pile the rest on a bench- grab what you want. After the match, there are brass buckets and the MD takes it all, then makes available for the asking what he doesn't need....