Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for the 625

Hawker

I will be reloading on a new Dillon 550B. (Thanks to Brian E. for his assistance and discount program with Dillon). I wanted to post here as I'll be reloading "revolver specific".

Anyway... I will reload 230 FMJ for my PC 625 with 5.25" barrel. I'd like some suggestions regarding powder, bullets, and primers. I'd like a soft shooting round making about 170PF. Any load recipes with specs?

Many folks are using VV Powder and MG Bullets. The powder, N320,  is getting excellent comments from shooters. Your experience and suggestions?

Thanks.

Hawker

My receipe for my 625(same gun that you have)is,

230 grn rn jacketed bullets from National

Straight clays for powder

Federal primers are a must.  Especially if you have an action job.

OAL- 1.250"

I loaded around 4.3 to 4.4 grns for the FGN last year.  That chrono'd at about 180.  It was my first Nationals I didn't want to take a chance.  When I got back I backed the load down to about 3.8 grns.  I f you are going to try this start low and work your way up, every gun is different.

Have fun with your revolver, its a totally different game and good luck.

Hawker, I use VV N320. about 4,7 grains (check in a manual, work up carefully and be careful in general!!!) under a 230 grain Frontier copper plated bullet. Federal primer LP 150. It's very soft shooting and makes 170 PF easily. I don't have experiences with Montana's.

BTW, I've shot VVN340 for a while and it ís not close to 320 in the softness department. Go with fast powders and heavy bullets if you want soft. 310 or 320 if you want VV powders.

• 1 year later...

I am loading vv320 4.9 with a 230 MG CMJ to help stop leading. Just started so I will have to post later on how it is working out. 4.7 to 4.9 would be a good place to start your milage may very. I will also check OAL and post that also.....Thanks, John

One of the top revolver shooters inthe US (as in finished in top 5 at Nationals) just switched to the Berry's 185 grn Round Nose Hollow Base; this is a TMJ bullet like Speer's TMJ or Gold dot (bullet jacket bonded to the bullet one molecule at a time!). The hollow base is HUGE (think of the hollow base in a traditional 12 gauge slug). He is using Clays powder. Economical & effective. He shoots a 625.

I have not tried this but for you tinkering revolver shooters, how about this: use .45 GAP brass w/ the Berry's 185 hollow base & fast powder. Even at the shorter GAP OAL, the hollow base would effectively give you back the case capacity lost to the shorter GAP case; the brass is thicker & unlike an unsupported barrel like the 1911 or partially supported like a Glock, the 625 is fully supported. Not for the beginner or faint of heart but I bet it will work.

My OAL for the post above is 1.238. Hope this helps....Until you try this in your own gun you won't be able to know for sure but this gives you a good place to start. Good Luck!!!! John DVC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have shot the 25-2 and 625 in ICORE but not IPSC our minor load is 3.5gr of WST on a 230 FMJ. Try to stay away from Winchester bullets, we have found that they are not accurate and are often undersized. Hope this helps also.

In the last 4 IPSC matches, i had shoot with:

S&W 625 - 5" cal. 45 acp

Bullet: FMJ-RN 230 grs.

Brass: Starline

Primer: Federal Large Pistol n°150

Powder: N310 x 4,60 grs.

Hoal = 31,50 mm.

Power Factor = 178 - 179 ................. :ph34r: ......... when i shoot ..... i don't want be worried about the chrono-stage !!!

Hawker,

I have a 625-3 5" barrel for IPSC

3.9gr Bullseye

230 RN lead (bearcreek)

OAL 1.245"

Chrono avg. 725fps

PF 166

80°F

For ICORE I use this same load but with a 205gr LC. there is less kick and I have to adjust the sight a bit. The gun shoots higher with the lighter bullet.

Hope this helps

RPM8shot