Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejector Pin

JThompson

I just noticed that the ejector pin is missing. I've been shooting it! Doh! I cleaned it twice and never noticed either. :( I pulled it down tonight and saw the open hole and freaked.

I have a match tomorrow and no spare... Will a roll pin work until I can get one shipped in? Do you guys have a better idea for the time being?

JT

Edited by JThompson

The roll pin will work fine.... its the same than the original.....just check for the right measure to make it fit right and a little tight.

Good lucky for the match..... shoot slow and run fast!!!!!!

Edited by Josh Biondi

The roll pin will work fine.... its the same than the original.....just check for the right measure to make it fit right and a little tight.

Good lucky for the match..... shoot slow and run fast!!!!!!

Thanks Josh. I'll pick one up in the morning...

If I can get over those shaking hands I should do fine. :) I usually do settle down after the first stage. I think I'll just go slow on the first and pick it up after that.

JT

You never mentioned what gun it's for. If it's an STI/SVI a 3/32nd dia pin is what you need. Most other 1911's will use a 1/16th dia pin. A roll pin will work or a dowel pin of the correct diameter.

Thanks Dan. It's 3/32 I checked it with a drill bit last night. S_I it is...

JT

You never mentioned what gun it's for. If it's an STI/SVI a 3/32nd dia pin is what you need. Most other 1911's will use a 1/16th dia pin. A roll pin will work or a dowel pin of the correct diameter.

JT

I would not use the word "need." Several local GMs actually shot guns for years WITHOUT a pinned ejector & were told to do so by their gunsmiths. 1911/2011 gunsmithing can vary from smith to smith and techniques vary. Its pointless to argue which smith's technique is "correct." Point is, the pin is not "needed."

Nevertheless, our host is one of the most recognized competitors with a 2011 and he is also one of the most talented gunsmiths when it comes to these guns. He recommends pinning it, and the lack of a pinned ejector obviously bothers you, so you should install a new pin before your next big match - if you can.

Regards,

C.

Had a similar situation years ago. I cut and finished the proper size drill bit shank as a temporary fix. Then I became too lazy to get a factory pin. It has lasted through cracks in the frame and slide (series 70 Colt). One experience doesn't prove anything, but if you live where obtaining a pin is a 30 mile drive...

The pin mostly just keep the ejector from falling off the frame, when the slide is off..... it can't go anywhere when the slide is on the gun. Although, if your ejector is really loose fiting, it may move slightly, or rub on the slide lightly, causing maybe inconsistent ejection. But that would be pretty rare.

The pin mostly just keep the ejector from falling off the frame, when the slide is off..... it can't go anywhere when the slide is on the gun. Although, if your ejector is really loose fiting, it may move slightly, or rub on the slide lightly, causing maybe inconsistent ejection. But that would be pretty rare.

+1 This is what made me look at it in the first place. I didn't like the consistancy of ejection. I didn't know you could choose to pin or not, for all I know there wasn't one in there to begin with. All I know is that the ejection is a little eratic and I don't like loose parts to fall out and possibly get lost. I also noticed the rounds in the mag are hitting the bottom of the ejector enough that it has some dinds on it from the head. Is this normal?

Thanks to all for taking the time to help a noob. ;)

JT

JT

I would not use the word "need." Several local GMs actually shot guns for years WITHOUT a pinned ejector & were told to do so by their gunsmiths. 1911/2011 gunsmithing can vary from smith to smith and techniques vary. Its pointless to argue which smith's technique is "correct." Point is, the pin is not "needed."

Nevertheless, our host is one of the most recognized competitors with a 2011 and he is also one of the most talented gunsmiths when it comes to these guns. He recommends pinning it, and the lack of a pinned ejector obviously bothers you, so you should install a new pin before your next big match - if you can.

Regards,

C.

Thanks for your help Carlos... there might not have been one from the jump. The more I think about it the less I think there was. I was cleaning it and saw it was missing and noticed a gap in the front where it was on it's way to falling out.

I haven't had and "big matches" yet. I'm just a lowley unclassified noob. :)

JT

Had a similar situation years ago. I cut and finished the proper size drill bit shank as a temporary fix. Then I became too lazy to get a factory pin. It has lasted through cracks in the frame and slide (series 70 Colt). One experience doesn't prove anything, but if you live where obtaining a pin is a 30 mile drive...

Thanks. I thought about the drill, but it's not a real snug fit and I was worried that it might work it's way out and rub the rail. Since I had galling issues to begin with, I'm leary of anything rubbing my rail, esp somethingnharder than the chrome. ;)

JT

Rounds or the mag hitting the bottom of the ejector is a much bigger problem than the pining issue. Probably hitting when doing a slide lock reload. this could break off the ejector. Take off the slide and file down the ejector bottom until the mags dont hit it

MVZ

Rounds or the mag hitting the bottom of the ejector is a much bigger problem than the pining issue. Probably hitting when doing a slide lock reload. this could break off the ejector. Take off the slide and file down the ejector bottom until the mags dont hit it

MVZ

Thanks Mark... I'll look into it. ;)

MVZ

+1 on relieving the ejector so it won't touch the bullets/mag.

And tryot to do slide lock reloads. ;)

MVZ

+1 on relieving the ejector so it won't touch the bullets/mag.

And tryot to do slide lock reloads. ;)

Will do and won't do. :)