Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger pull questions

AFDAVIS1

I agree with bountyhunter regarding not stoning or filing sears (esp SA sears), although I have been known to give the DA sears a (very) few stokes with 1200 sandpaper. When a revolver has a spring kit put in it it usually reduces the SA trigger weight to somewhere between be-very-very-careful and downright-dangerous. I fit a trigger stop to my tuned DA revolvers to overcome this problem.

Intel, I'll try it next trainingsession. 6 shots at 25 yards. I think I should be able to do it in about 3 seconds (but whenever I start to think, things go wrong :D )

Oh, an BTW, in 3secs those will not be all A's. With good hits, I mean A/C zone.

Spook i witnessed you several times hitting the A zone six-times from the holster in less then 3 seconds.

You know it is the first standard exercise when we start your training exercises.

With 3 shooters on the line you are never the one with the last shot even when you shoot together with the open gun boys. But you are the one that mostly shoot A's.

But don't start thinking, keep shooting!

Adrie

2Alpha,

Thanks for the advice. What brand of snap caps work? I tried the fancy spring loaded ones from Brownell's but they would not fit into the cylinder. Should I not use a moon clip to hold them? How about using dummy rounds with spent primers? The rounds I use are painted white to distinguish them from live rounds which are not even in the same room when I dry fire!

George, I tried it last night. From the holster 25 y. Best time: 2.80. One C.

Draw was 1.35 (which could be better) Splits averaged .30, which is slower than the .25 splits I can do when I go as fast as I can. But still I have the feeling that .25 and .30 splits for targets at very close range. I guess I have to work on that. Don't really know how though. Bought the Miculek tape...wow. That guy can shoot. I wonder how much is "talent" or natural ability and how much is gained through hard work. Probably a combination of the two, but I wonder if I can EVER shoot below .20 splits.

Shoonie , fired cases will work fine, when they get too beat up just exchange them for some newer ones. I would go ahead and use the moon clip. Some people remove the spent primer from a fired case and fill the primer hole with silicone to make snap caps but just fired cases have worked well for me.

WOW! Great advice, thanx gentlemen.  I have switched to Federal primers and will try that.  I'm going to polish some of the insides as suggested in the near future, if the Federal primers work (otherwise I'm going to a bottom feeder :-) ) Dumb question...since I am not supposed to polish the sear, what does it look like?  What is it?

Here is a good picture for reference:

revoler.jpg