Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load for lightening slide

ViktorCistic

Hi folks,

I have lightening slide post-2141-1178711968.jpg and i need recommendation for load. The slide is very quick. Currently i use 180grs FMJ bullet, but - FTF. With my old slide (full weight) no problem. Should i use light bullets (165 ?) and faster pwdr than 180grs bullets ?

THX

Jakub

I just bought a Brazos SC Limited gun which also has a readically lightened slide. Bob recommened the following two loads.

3.9-4.0 grs N320 w/ Precision 185 gr at an OAL of 1.22

or

4.8 grs of TiteGroup with same bullets and same OAL.

I have only shot one match but I used 4.8 grs of TG under 180 gr Ranier jacketed FP at an OAL of 1.225. I haven't chrono'd this round yet but the gun ran amazing.

I just bought a Brazos SC Limited gun which also has a readically lightened slide. Bob recommened the following two loads.

or

I have only shot one match but I used 4.8 grs of TG under 180 gr Ranier jacketed FP at an OAL of 1.225. I haven't chrono'd this round yet but the gun ran amazing.

Texas HK Shooter, Are you making major with 3.9 to 4.0? I am loading 4.4 Grains of VV 320 with precision and my PF is 171 . Gun is Benny Hill 6 in.

Texas HK Shooter, Are you making major with 3.9 to 4.0? I am loading 4.4 Grains of VV 320 with precision and my PF is 171 . Gun is Benny Hill 6 in.

I thought that seemed light too. I was running 5.1g of 320 to get 166pf or so through my 5" gun.

I use 5.0 of N320 and a 180 @ 1.160" for about 950 in a 5" gun.

Speaking of light weight slides, my 5" "fat free" is my favorite of my 3 .40s.

The slide is about 10.5 oz and I run that same 180 load in them all. I think the "fat free" is the best shooter of them all...It cycles real fast.

I also load a 185 PB with 4.2 rgains of N320 to make major at 1.165"

Edited by Mick

I thought that seemed light too. I was running 5.1g of 320 to get 166pf or so through my 5" gun.

I haven't run them through the chrono yet, these were just the recommendations that came from Bob when I got the gun. Also, I am not using the VV receipe, I am currently using 4.8 grs of TG.

Jakub, you can shoot whatever load you want. You will have to balance out the springs in then gun now, as the slide will cycle faster.

When I lightened up my slide I went up to a 15lb recoil spring with a 17lb mainspring with my 165gr load. The gun now tracks neutral in my hands with a proper grip. You can also go up on the mainspring weight and a lighter recoil spring, but it will take some experimentation to find what works best for you.

Good luck,

DougC

or

4.8 gr Titegroup seems like allot of powder for a 185 Precision molly I run 4.4 gr with a 180 bear creek moly and chrono 170.4 OAL 1.17

4.8gr sounds like a good load for Precision Delta FMJ

YMMV

I agree. I'm using 4.5 of TG with a 185 PB at 1.200 which made 168 at the AR Sectional through a 5" gun.

Ditto, My friend's load for his para. 4.2 grains TG at 1.160 185 PB & he was he was making 174 PF.

Edited by bulm540

4.8 gr Titegroup seems like allot of powder for a 185 Precision molly I run 4.4 gr with a 180 bear creek moly and chrono 170.4 OAL 1.17

YMMV

Good to know. Like I said, I will taylor the load after I get some chrono data. I will report back once I have more info.

Jakub, you can shoot whatever load you want. You will have to balance out the springs in then gun now, as the slide will cycle faster.

When I lightened up my slide I went up to a 15lb recoil spring with a 17lb mainspring with my 165gr load. The gun now tracks neutral in my hands with a proper grip. You can also go up on the mainspring weight and a lighter recoil spring, but it will take some experimentation to find what works best for you.

Good luck,

DougC

DougC,

currently I have on my old slide (full) 10lbs recoil spring+ Sprinco + 15lbs mainspring. PF 175. Works perfectly. But, when I change slides, I have FTF problems.

Jakub

• 4 weeks later...

YMMV

Good to know. Like I said, I will taylor the load after I get some chrono data. I will report back once I have more info.

I have finally been able to chrono some rounds. Turns out, 4.7-5.0 are all too much. Here were the results from today.

OAL was 1.225

185 Precision

TiteGroup Powder

4.7 - avg 185PF (This load made 170 with a 180gr Ranier RNFP fully jacketed bullet)

4.8 - avg 183PF

4.9 - avg 184PF

5.0 - avg 183PF

This just doesn't seem right. I was surprised to see these changes in powder not really change velocities. My Standard Diviations were so small that I feel confident in the quality control of my loading process.

Now I am at a loss as for what powder to use to get down to 170. I saw 4.2 but it was for a shorter OAL. I will keep searching.