Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choate Mag Extension For An 1187

cabdmd

Choate extensions with a Remington 1187

When the dimples are drilled out of the regular mag tube and the extension is used can the shotgun be restored to the original configuration for hunting?

But you will need an earlier spring retainer.

I thought that those dimples were what secured the spring retainer.

So where does one find the replacement style that is needed, Remington or Brownells?

If you drill out the dimples, which needs to be done if you want an extension, there is nothing for the retainer to lock on to.

767-916-570

Magazine Spring Retainer, Old Style $4.95

Would this part from Brownells solve that problem?

Are you saying that the original condition for hunting can not be restored?

Edited by cabdmd

I did speak with a tech rep at Remington who said that the dimples would need to be drilled (or hammered out) to allow the rounds to extend past that point into the magazine extension.

He said that to revert back to a hunting configuration the spring retainer would then not be held by the dimples but held in place by the magazine end cap. He also said that the clicking as the cap was tightened would be then eliminated and teflon tape on the threads to help secure the magazine cap would be a good idea.

I am still trying to figure out if how to secure the spring retainer in the mag tube without having to rely on the end cap when I want to restore the hunting configuration.

Remington says that the end cap will shoot loose without having the lock washer effect of the spring retainer.

So if I were to drill out the dimples and drill through the spring retainer could a 1 inch roll pin secure the spring retainer in the tube?

I can't find any images of the old style spring retainer and end cap. Although some have suggested this is a remedy I did not have the impression that it could be easily put onto the mag tube.

Why don't you just leave the Choate on and make a plug to limit capacity for hunting?

That sounds like a great solution.

How would you suggest to accomplish that?

Field and Streams Tip of the day!

Make Your Own Plug

If your shotgun's magazine doesn't have a plug to prevent it from holding more than two cartridges, you can make one using 1*2-inch-diameter wooden dowel. Measure the length of the magazine. Subtract 6 inches if your barrel is chambered for 23*4-inch shells; 61*2 inches for 3-inch shells; or 71*2 inches for 31*2-inch shells. Cut the dowel to the length of the remainder and sand it smooth. Unscrew the magazine's end cap and place the plug inside the coil spring.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/...,194916,00.html

You might have to modify the formula some. If your tube holds 8 and you want to limit it to 3 I would measure the length of 5 shells and start with the dowel a little over that.

Edited by ANDYZ