Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sx-2 Clone

Just got the latest CDNN flyer today. They have the 22" FN Tactical shotgun with fiber optic front sight cantilever rail and 8 round mag tube for sale for $754. Don't know what it normally goes for, but that seems really cheap. Mods, if this is a "no no", please delete, but it seems like a good deal that members might want to know about.

I saw in the CDNN flyer, too. It looks just like an SX-2, but it's a black and white photo on newsprint, about 3" long...

Does anyone know about the FN shotgun, compared with the SX-2? Are they the same design? Is the FN a quality gun? Available mods/parts? Anyone use one in 3-gun?

Oh, and were all SX-2s made by FN, or just some, and how can you tell by looking at the gun?

I'd like to hear any feedback anyone can give.

Thanks,

DogmaDog

Edited by DogmaDog

My SX2 is old enough to not be an FN (I believe) but they are identical as far as I can tell...

I broke mine at the TX 3 gun in 2006 and I haven't got it back to 100% yet.

I broke the pin under the ejection port that holds the shell latch. When replaced by new parts I still get a round from the tube at times I don't want it...like when I want to load the tube between shots. I will find a round under the bolt and above the carrier making loading impossible.

I have a SX2. At the last 3 gun match, a new shooter (and a gun dealer) showed up with the FN mentioned above. I fondled it for a bit and it looks to be the exact same gun as my SX2, with different markings. Same exact sights, features, receiver shape etc. Same weight, etc.

I bought the FN SLP about two months ago and its GREAT!!! I paid right at $800 which seems to be the average price nowadays for it (In Northern VA.)

I am new to 3G (only shot a couple local matches) this year but the gun has functioned flawlessly for me. I put about 200-300 rounds through it per 2 or 3 times a month practicing (steel, pigeons, reloading, etc) and I have never had a jam or other malfunction.

Fortunately for my tight shooting budget the less expensive (Rio's) tend to run better than the Winchester AA's and other more expensive shells. I have shot 9, 8 7.5 6 and 4 shot, 00 buck and slugs through it with zero problems. Also at 60-70 yards w/ slugs it is dead on.

I used to be a pretty serious skeet shooter about 4 years ago and shot the 11-87 in 12 ga and doubles. When I first got into 3G I looked at the 11-87 and Benelli's and did not really care for them. Most of the guys think I am nuts for not liking the Benelli in 3G but you really have to get was is right for you!!

When replaced by new parts I still get a round from the tube at times I don't want it...like when I want to load the tube between shots. I will find a round under the bolt and above the carrier making loading impossible.

I get that problem too, even though I have not broken my SX2 (bought around 2002). Happened from nearly new & after I lent it to a friend for a 750+ round shotgun class at Blackwater.

Thought I saw a fix posted here someplace (or was it global village?). Had to do with beefed up springs?

Anyone?

Also - I think the new CDNN guns might be slightly down on magazine capacity over my 2002 Winchester. What bbl length?

I know Dan Horner of AMU got one and really likes his, Mike Darby of Mike.45 fame, showed him some things he could do to it to make it a little more user friendly. But, then Mike is always letting little secrets like that out to the wrong people. ;)

It seemed to me to be prone to the same things that, other gas guns are prone to, in that it needs to be lubricated often, and it gets dirty quick, so wipe it down after stages.

Trapr

Also - I think the new CDNN guns might be slightly down on magazine capacity over my 2002 Winchester. What bbl length?

From original post.

Just got the latest CDNN flyer today. They have the 22" FN Tactical shotgun with fiber optic front sight cantilever rail and 8 round mag tube for sale for $754. Don't know what it normally goes for, but that seems really cheap. Mods, if this is a "no no", please delete, but it seems like a good deal that members might want to know about.

Well, I ordered one yesterday. For some reason, CDNN is selling the 18" barrel version for $10 more (?!). I went with the 22" and 8+1 capacity.

CDNN is sending me a free cheap C-more clone sight, a pair of shooting glasses, and a subscription to "Field and Stream" with it, lol.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

DD

For some reason, CDNN is selling the 18" barrel version for $10 more (?!). I went with the 22" and 8+1 capacity.

DD

The 18" barrel version was the one I referred to. You want the 22" in order to get the most out of the gun under the rules.