Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using The 650 On 30-06?

Is anyone loading the 30-06 on their dillon 650 and if so can you give some details.

Can you use the automatic case feeder.

Do you prelude the cases by hand or use a lube die.

Do you use the same powder bar or is there a bigger one for rifles.

How much 'uhmf' do you have to put into the handle.

Resizing 3006 in my single stage press takes some handle force. I could imagine doing it with all the other stations in operation at the same time. But single press loading is just taking too damn long.

I have loaded quite a bit of 3006 on the 550, no problems with cranking effort. There is alot more leverage on the 550 than a simglestage. Dont know about casefeeder, I put my brass on a loading block and lube by hand 100 at a time, there are 4 powder systems to my knowledge.. The standard dillon measure come with a small and large bar. The large bar may work as is depending on your powder and charge. With full power of 4350 it is too small but the adjustment part can be filed on to open it up a little which is all it takes. Method 3 and the best bet is to order the "Magnum Bar made for the standard measure. this works great and I use it for 30/06-.338 winmag and 45/70. If you get into the really large magnums like 378 weatherby you'll need the "Magnum Powder measure which is a completely differnt powwder measure.

So on the 650 do I have to remove the case feeder and feed each round in by hand. Thats the only thing that makes sense as I can't see putting lubed cases in the case feeder.

How do you get the lube off the finished round. Do you clean each one by hand or tumble them in media.

Dont know anything about case feeder. Or the specifics of the 650 as I have a 550, I use the Dillon alchohol base case lube. Shake it give brass a light mist, spray some on a nylon bore brush and hit the inside of the neck wait a few minutes for carrier to evaporate then load.. I dont worry about the lube after loading.

• 1 year later...
Is anyone loading the 30-06 on their dillon 650 and if so can you give some details.

Can you use the automatic case feeder.

Do you prelude the cases by hand or use a lube die.

Do you use the same powder bar or is there a bigger one for rifles.

How much 'uhmf' do you have to put into the handle.

Resizing 3006 in my single stage press takes some handle force. I could imagine doing it with all the other stations in operation at the same time. But single press loading is just taking too damn long.

I load a lot or 30-06, 270, 25-06, and 308 on the 650. I used a magnum powder bar for some of the heavier 06 loads. I use the spray lube, dump them in the auto case feeder, and let her rip. You can do a lot of them in a hurry too. Makes real good accuate ammo. It dosen't take much effort to resize. On my bolt action rounds, I only neck size when I reload them.

Is anyone loading the 30-06 on their Dillon 650 and if so can you give some details.

Can you use the automatic case feeder. There is no problem using the Case Feeder

Do you prelude the cases by hand or use a lube die. See answer below

Do you use the same powder bar or is there a bigger one for rifles. The large Powder bar is good for 50grn if you need more get the Magnum bar

How much 'uhmf' do you have to put into the handle. Once in a while I encounter a case that is really over size.

I done over 5000 rounds since I got my 650 in Dec of last year. I used to do them on my 550 prior to that. But whether it was on the 550 or 650, I usually do a 2 step process.

First step - Size, de-cap and Trim the brass. All of the brass is pre-lubed with Dillon case lube. The sizing die is in Station 1 and the Trimming die is in station 4. The trimmer is a Dillon 1200 - works like a charm.

After I complete step 1, I strip the 650 down, clean everything, I clean the cases in the tumbler with corn cob media.

Step two - Swap the sizing tool head with the reloading tool head. Station 1 - empty, station 2 - powder measure - station 3 (soon to be occupied by the KISS Bullet feeder), Station 4 - bullet insertion and Station 5 Crimp.

One other reason why I do a 2 step process is most of my brass is military and after step 1, I need to swage the primer pockets. (I know, I know - Should buy a 1050) But I can't afford it.

The process works well for me and allow me to create consistent, reliable re-loads.

So on the 650 do I have to remove the case feeder and feed each round in by hand. Thats the only thing that makes sense as I can't see putting lubed cases in the case feeder.

How do you get the lube off the finished round. Do you clean each one by hand or tumble them in media.

No problem whatsoever to put lubed cases in the Casefeeder. Over the years, I loaded about a zillion lubed 40 cases with a Casefeeder.

For rifle ammo - one easy way to remove the lube - pour a bunch of loaded ammo on one half of a big bath towel. Then mist a little Brake Cleaner (not Carb Cleaner) on the other half of the towel. Then fold it over the cases and roll them around a bit until they're de-lubed.

be