Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Luger Reload Case Sizing?

Enlighten me:

the 9mm Luger is a tepered case. When I bought a bunch of Miwall 9mm reloads, some would stick in some of my barrels, but shoot in others. I had one jam my Beretta up so tight I had to beat it out.

The culprit is the little bulge about 0.1" up from the rim groove. All were 'sized" down below the diameter of the rim, but on some, the bulge would still keep it from dropping into some barrels.

A friend with a new XD is having jams for the same reason.

My "fix" is to sit and drop rounds into a barrel and see if I hear the "thunk" it makes when it drops all the way in or not.... I have some rounds so bulgy I don't think they would cycle in any of my guns.

Is there a way to properly "size" the brass with the correct taper so it fits the barrel properly?

I think an FCD or the EGW die are the only relatively sure bets, with case rolled cases being the only sure thing (do they even make a case roller for tapered cases? :unsure: )

Even in my OEM G17 barrel, the cases haven't been really bulged near the extractor rim, not unless the round was a *ahem* unusually high pressure reload. Multiply fired brass might build up to a bulge if fired in a generous chamber.

I'd guess if you reloaded your own with once fired factory ammo cases from something like a police range (all OEM chambered guns), you wouldn't have a problem.

I think an FCD or the EGW die are the only relatively sure bets, with case rolled cases being the only sure thing (do they even make a case roller for tapered cases? :unsure: )

Even in my OEM G17 barrel, the cases haven't been really bulged near the extractor rim, not unless the round was a *ahem* unusually high pressure reload. Multiply fired brass might build up to a bulge if fired in a generous chamber.

I'd guess if you reloaded your own with once fired factory ammo cases from something like a police range (all OEM chambered guns), you wouldn't have a problem.

I've run into the same issue. Although I've read many great things about the EGW Lee U die, it didn't fix the problem for me. I went back to the Dillon die that came with my 1050. I only load once fired brass, 90% of which is shot from Beretta pistols (fortunate to have a police range close by). What I've started doing is to toss out any case that gives me any extra resistance at the depriming/sizing station. I think I throw out about 1 every 50. I still case gauge anything I'm going to use in a match. Using this technique I think I haven't had any bulged rounds in the last 600 I've gauged.

Good luck,

Itchy :)

• 2 weeks later...

You have encountered cases that were not completely full length sized. This leaves a "belt" just above the extractor groove. It's no unusual to encounter this condition when shooting someone elses reloads, especially then they're sized on a progressive press, and the sizing die doesn't bottom out on the shellholder. Sometimes you'll encounter this with worn out dies as well, or with some dies designed for high speed progressive presses that have a large chamfer at the bottom of the sizing die to make the reloading machine run smoother. Buy your reloads somewhere else, your reloader isn't taking enough care in his work.