Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Equipment For 38 Super

trodrig

Hi all! I've been shooting a 45 in IDPA and a couple of steel matches for about a year now. I really like shooting steel so I finally took the plunge and ordered an open gun in 38 Super from Dawson! I load 45 on a 650 and need to get the gear to convert it to 38 Super. I use the Redding Competition seater die for 45 and want to use one for Super as well. What about the sizer and crimp dies? I've read posts about the U-die and the Lee FCD. Are these helpfull in loading for an open gun or should I just stick with the Dillon die set?

Thanks for the help!

Trodrig

Thanks for the quick replies guys!!

One thing I forgot to ask before: I don't use a case gauge for 45 but I know tolerances are going to be alot tighter on this gun. Should I go ahead and get the case gauge for 38 super?

Thanks a bunch!

Trodrig

Thanks Chris! Do you drop ALL of your loaded rounds into the chamber? I drop'em in my 45 whenever I change bullets or lengths. Obviously if I was going to a major match or something I'd check every round but, do you feel it's necessary to do this all the time?

Thanks,

Trodrig

I'll vote for getting the case gauge. It's a matter of convenience IMO.

I case gauge a couple of rounds every time I reload. Just can't take the chance that I may have to pull 500-1000 bullets (I load on a 1050) if something is out of spec.

If I had to take the top end off my gun to do that, I would get lazy, pure and simple.

I don't check every round ........ just the ones that count! ;)

I've already got my gun torn apart to clean it for a major match ... might as well use the barrel to gauge my major match ammo. It's cheaper than buying a case gauge, and it fits my gun perfectly. B)

It's cheaper than buying a case gauge, and it fits my gun perfectly. B)

I guess $10.95 is $10.95 is $10.95. My dillon case gauge is slighly smaller than my chamber. It's worth it to me for the extra margin of error (besides the convenience.)

Thanks for the information guys! I guess I'll try using the barrel at first and if I have issues I'll see if a case gauge is smaller.

For converting my 650 I was planning on buying a whole new primer assembly rather than trying to swap out the disc on the one I have. Seems like that'll be easier since it's just 2 bolts. What do ya'll think? Worth the extra expense? I'll most likely be switching between 45 and 38super at least once a month....unless I completely abandon my 45 after getting the new gun! :)

Trodrig

I don't check every round ........ just the ones that count! ;)

I've already got my gun torn apart to clean it for a major match ... might as well use the barrel to gauge my major match ammo. It's cheaper than buying a case gauge, and it fits my gun perfectly. B)

It's like brushing your teeth! You don't have to brush all of them....only the one's you would like to keep! :lol:

WOW, what kind of chamber do you have Al? My Dillon .40 case gauge is LARGER than my KKM .40 Glock barrel.

I have the same attitude as you about smaller is better ( ;) ) but it's the other way around.

They're the trubore bbl that Bob (Brazos) he uses in his shorties. I don't know if he reams them out for reliability or not but rounds that will bind in the case gauge (that go in the practice bin) shoot fine.

I do see why you don't use one though. Doesn't make sense if your bbl is tighter than the case gauge.

Edited by al503

WOW, what kind of chamber do you have Al? My Dillon .40 case gauge is LARGER than my KKM .40 Glock barrel.

I have the same attitude as you about smaller is better ( ;) ) but it's the other way around.

just have yer smith ream the case guage with the same reamer he use for yer bbl.

• 2 months later...

If you have the u size die, 90 percent of the time you don't have to use the case gauge but if you have one that would be handy in case u need it. I'm using dillon dies except for the u die for the first stage. You'll be fine.