Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SILVER GRIPS FOR 1911 (don't laugh)....

Jeffro

Don't make fun........ we ALL have idiosyncrasies, and this is (one of) mine!  I, years ago, had a great Colt Commander with "German Silver" grips.  They were scroll engraved, and not solid , but hollow, being constructed of thick silver sheetstock.  They were not heavy like the solid silver or pewter ones are now.  They were also not costly, being made in Mexico.   The gun was stolen in a break-in, and has long been replaced (with MANY 1911s).  However, I always wanted another set of the gaudy nickel-silver grips.  I have searched shows, searched the net, and cannot find any except the really "upscale" ones for $300 and up.  Does anyone have an idea who might carry these?  I KNOW they are not practical, and I wouldn't use them for "serious" work, just a nagging need to keep alive a vestige of my youth!!!!  CAN ANYONE HELP??

Thanks in advance for any responses......... by the way, feel free to make fun........ I can take it!! <:-)

Jeff

Jeff;

YOU'RE WIERD!!!! FREAKIN' WIERD, YOU FREIKIN' WIERDO!!!!!  GO HOME, WIERDO!!!!!

(Okay, just kidding. Thought I'd get it out of everyones system....:))

I remember Caspian used to offer silver grips,  pewter I think....

Brownells has grips from All America in checkered, florentine and scrolled....also try Ajax Grips...they got tons of exotic 1911 stuff.

Brian H,

The opening of your post sounds like my wife!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback.  I will check out your leads.  I already tried Ajax and they only have pewter, and those are REALLY HEAVY.  I am looking for the ones made of formed nickel-silver (German silver, Mexican silver) sheet stock.  You know the kind........ the ones you used to be able to buy in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, for $20 a pair but nobody wanted them 'cause they were so damn gaudy!!!!!  I will try your other suggestions.  

Thanks again,    Jeff

I saw some today at a gun show that weren't the full pewter ones, but had american eagles and stars and ribbons and the lot all over them.  I managed to forget the name of the distributor, but it was somewhere in AZ.

300 pound gorilla:  Thanks for the thought, but those are aluminum, not silver............  

To those who insist on making fun of my taste..... I'm gonna tell my mom and she will whip All of you!!!!!!!!!

But that's O.K., I have broad shoulders and can take a ribbin'........                     jeff