Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two Rules Questions. You Make The Call.

midvalleyshooter

Two rule questions from Saturdays match:

1) The stage called for engaging two targets using tactical sequence 1 - 2 - 1. then stepping up a couple steps and engage two more targets in tactical sequence 1 - 2 - 1. The question came up on the number of procedurals to call if a shooter double tapped them all. Now this did not happen and the discussion was friendly. I say 1 procedural and if you mess up default to the give them all two strategy. My buddy says 1 procedural per array. Who is right? There is a beverage riding on this so its really important :D Now i found the following on page 15 listed under performance in this rule book: http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

"Only one PE is assessed for each type of infraction in a string of fire." Does it apply to the describede situation?

2) This is the tricky one and I know its been covered before. But I really want to nail this down so we have consistant calls. When doing a RWR behind cover, how do we/you define cover? Can the movement be any direction? What if there are targets veiwable from where you are that have been "neutralized" but otherwise you have walls around you, is this cover? Help us out here with your thoughts and if possible direct me to the page in the rule book that defines this.

Thanks for looking,

Keith

1) The stage called for engaging two targets using tactical sequence 1 - 2 - 1. then stepping up a couple steps and engage two more targets in tactical sequence 1 - 2 - 1. The question came up on the number of procedurals to call if a shooter double tapped them all. Now this did not happen and the discussion was friendly. I say 1 procedural and if you mess up default to the give them all two strategy. My buddy says 1 procedural per array. Who is right? There is a beverage riding on this so its really important :D Now i found the following on page 15 listed under performance in this rule book: http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

"Only one PE is assessed for each type of infraction in a string of fire." Does it apply to the describede situation?

You answered your question. One procedural for the timed string.

You might want to use the search feature for #2. It's been hashed out many, many times.

• 4 weeks later...

You answered your question. One procedural for the timed string.

And now, THE TWIST . . .

If the shooter intentionally blows off the tactical sequence and double taps the entire string from the buzzer, knowing he or she will only get one procedural no matter how many times it is done (but then, how do you know intentions?), wouldn't there be a FTDR penalty?

And now, THE TWIST . . .

If the shooter intentionally blows off the tactical sequence and double taps the entire string from the buzzer, knowing he or she will only get one procedural no matter how many times it is done (but then, how do you know intentions?), wouldn't there be a FTDR penalty?

Something that blatant would seem to fit the criteria for PC 1 B (page 14):

B. Is assessed for any attempt to circumvent or compromise

the spirit or rationale of any stage by the use of

inappropriate devices, equipment or techniques.

and hence IDPA's biggest problem, a vague rulebook full of shoulds, encourageds etc. Pretty much up to the Match director and the definition of cover for that particular stage needs to be stated in the course description,if not , the specific questions need to be asked during walk through or briefing. So your number 2 answer would be how was it defined by the course description.

One procedural on the first one. If the shooter blew off TS on both arrays, a FTDR might be appropriate, but I'm no mind reader, so . . .

The course description should address the reloading issue. The consensus seem to be that no visible threats = behind cover, even if there is no cover, per se.

Edited by RickB