Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16 Vs 20 Inch Barrel

Mike Morcillo

You lose some velocity with a 16" bbl, but no biggie if you use snappy ammo to start with. Accuracy to 350 yards is not an issue. If you search, you will find that it isn't the velocity, or accuracy, but the gas system that makes full length systems a little bit better in certain respects for competition. A 16 is NOT un-competitive, it just has different quirks than the longer guns. You really aren't losing anything huge with a 16.

As George said, the issue is with velocity loss, not accuracy loss with a 16" bbl. Due to velocity loss your poa / holdovers may be different at longer ranges compared to a 20" bbl. Not a big deal if you know the ballistics of your rifle / ammo combo.

Best,

Nick-

• 2 weeks later...
Richard, was that statement about not making "minor" directed at our friend Eric!!!!!! :lol:
No, but from your post I guess it fits.

I used to have a Bushmaster with a 14.5" barrel and fixed muzzle brake. I sold it on consignment at a gun store. Had I sold it to an IPSC 3-gunner I would have warned about chronographing each type AND LOT # of ammo to make sure it makes minor. I shot .223 loaded with 62 gr bullets just to make sure.

Edited by richardschennberg