Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Change In Grip Can Make A Difference

Last year I tried experimenting with my grip. I tried twisting my right hand so that the thumb is a bit more forward, because I tried to make it easier to put only the first pad of trigger finger on the trigger. (I have somewhat big hands.) I noticed that I could control the gun better with this "new" grip. I used to suffer from low&left hits, and this also cured them instantly, the very first time I tried it. (Therefore, Trick of the day.) Of course I was very happy with this, as shooting got both faster and more accurate. :ph34r:

Gripping the gun this way it feels like the gun becomes more like "extension of the arm bone", instead of being supported by wrist from the side, which makes the gun flip more on recoil. That, or then the fingers get a stronger push on the front side of the grip, I don't know, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :) It still feels a bit weird, and my hands want to default into the "normal" grip, and I have to remind myself.

I just wish someone taught me earlier that a small change in grip can be so important. Well, better late than never...

Last weekend I also experimented shoooting with thumbs not touching the gun, and also with a "death grip", but only at the end of the session, so I ran out of ammo just as it became intresting... :rolleyes::unsure: Well, I've now reserved a bucket of ammo for just this purpose... B)

Edited by askomiko

• 3 weeks later...
Last weekend I also experimented shoooting with thumbs not touching the gun, and also with a "death grip", but only at the end of the session, so I ran out of ammo just as it became intresting... :rolleyes::unsure: Well, I've now reserved a bucket of ammo for just this purpose... B)

Experiment with a very firm grip (with both hands), like approximately what you'd use to swing a 3 lb. sledge hammer repeatedly, and thumbs not touching the gun.

be

• 2 weeks later...

and thumbs not touching the gun.

be

Thumbs not touching...?

Thumbs not touching...?

Yes. They cause the gun to not track straight up and down. They can also cause your aim point to shift. Try this: Get your grip and a type 4 sight pic with your thumbs not touching. Then touch the gun with your weak thumb and watch the sights very closely. They will move.

Thumbs not touching...?

Yes. They cause the gun to not track straight up and down. They can also cause your aim point to shift. Try this: Get your grip and a type 4 sight pic with your thumbs not touching. Then touch the gun with your weak thumb and watch the sights very closely. They will move.

I shall investigate that today when I get to the range. That could answer some questions I have with inconsistant sight movement.

Thanks Josh

JT

PS What about those pedals I've seen so much om open guns?

Edited by JThompson

I should have said - weak-hand thumb not touching the gun. That's more clear.

Within reason, you don't care how far the sight goes up and down. The absolute most important thing is that the front sight returns right back to a perfect sight alignment, every time. Day in, day out, fatigued or sharp, tired or pumped up - this is vital.

I found keeping my weak-hand thumb off the gun noticably improved my sight tracking consistency in matches.

In practice, my, and most people's gripping force is more consistent, from draw to draw and day to day. So in practice I didn't notice a sight-tracking problem that might have been coming from the thumb on the frame. But one day I wondered why my sights were tracking like crap in the match I was shooting. So I shot some runs without my thumb on the frame and the improvement in sight tracking was shocking.

be

I should have said - weak-hand thumb not touching the gun. That's more clear.

Within reason, you don't care how far the sight goes up and down. The absolute most important thing is that the front sight returns right back to a perfect sight alignment, every time. Day in, day out, fatigued or sharp, tired or pumped up - this is vital.

I found keeping my weak-hand thumb off the gun noticably improved my sight tracking consistency in matches.

In practice, my, and most people's gripping force is more consistent, from draw to draw and day to day. So in practice I didn't notice a sight-tracking problem that might have been coming from the thumb on the frame. But one day I wondered why my sights were tracking like crap in the match I was shooting. So I shot some runs without my thumb on the frame and the improvement in sight tracking was shocking.

be

I'll work on it Brian... I shot without the thumb today and it felt strange. I had nowhere to rest my thumb and it didn't feel consistent. I kept think... where's my thumb. :) My biggest problem is keeping the sight from dropping past the center point in recoil. It goes up and then comes down below then back to center. I'm not sure if it's grip related or my recoil spring is a bit heavy or what.... still working on it.

Thanks for the input Brian... it's nice to hear you chime in. ;)

JT

Edited by JThompson