Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Class Bipod

fastshooter03

NO - in my opinion you can't make a change of this magnitude.

Rule 5.1.8 "A competitor who substitutes or significantly modifies a rifle and/or sights during a match without the prior approval of the Range Master will be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6." (DQ - Unsportsmanlike Conduct)

Edited by StealthyBlagga

The rules allow a bipod to be added, or removed at ANY time during a match, even during a course of fire should you wish to take the time. Only Open division may use a bipod.

This is the same under USPSA, IPSC and IMG rules.

5.1.8 does not apply to a bipod, nor to a sling.

That is all.

The rules allow a bipod to be added, or removed at ANY time during a match, even during a course of fire should you wish to take the time. Only Open division may use a bipod.

This is the same under USPSA, IPSC and IMG rules.

5.1.8 does not apply to a bipod, nor to a sling.

Hmmm, I'm not sure about this. I RO'd the SMM3G match this year, and this specific point came up. The shooter in question was obliged by the MD to keep the bipod on his gun the whole match. This was under a variation of IMGA rules, of course.

I don't usually shoot Rifle under USPSA/IPSC rules, and in any case I'm a Tac Iron shooter, so I have no direct experience. Do you perhaps have a reference to cite in support of the above (e.g. an Amidon ruling, or another section of the rule book) ?

Edited by StealthyBlagga

It is legal to add/remove a bipod at any time in IPSC/USPSA Semi-Auto & Manual Action Open Divisions by definition of there being no specific exclusion. I have been to more than a few USPSA 3Gun/Multigun Nationals and Area events and this is the way it works in USPSA.

It is also the way it works in almost all IMG rules events.

If that was done while you watched at SMMG I wouldn't be surprised as this is not the first instance of strange rule interpretations on the fly I have heard of.

Here is the last known copy of the SMMG rules and I find nothing stating this to be so, so therefore it isn't unless the ruling was made post facto.

smm3g_2006_rules_revised_oct.pdf

In USPSA they allow you to take the bipod on or off in Open.

The SMM3G version of the IMGA rules changed I believe beginning last year in that you had to keep the bipod on throughout the whole match. If you go to other IMGA match most of them are like USPSA in that they allow you to add and take off the bipod at whim.

IMGA based matches have variences between venues. For another example look at the difference in Tactical shotgun between the venues. Or look at HM. Different depending on the match.

It is legal to add/remove a bipod at any time in IPSC/USPSA Semi-Auto & Manual Action Open Divisions by definition of there being no specific exclusion. I have been to more than a few USPSA 3Gun/Multigun Nationals and Area events and this is the way it works in USPSA.

I'm sure you are right, and I'm willing to accept your assertion that the addition/removal of bipods between stages is indeed a common and sanctioned practice in USPSA matches - like I said, I don't shoot Open so I have no first hand experience. However, to state that its OK because there is no specific exclusion doesn't make sense to me. There is no specific exclusion that prohibits changing the barrel length either (there are lots of times I'd love to pull off my 20" upper and install my 7" upper for a CQB stage), but it is implied by the rule I cited above that prohibits "any significant change" to the rifle during a match.

Of course, its down to the MD to rule on what "significant" means. Ajusting the length of a collapsing stock does not seem significant, but changing out the bipod does seem so to me. Not trying to stir trouble, but it just does not seem as obvious to me as it clearly is to you. Like I said, it would be helpful if someone could post a link to an actual USPSA ruling or documented precedent on this point.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

For USPSA, MG 5.1.7 clarifies:

MG 5.1.7:

Competitors must use the same firearms throughout the match. For

purposes of this rule, a firearm is considered to be the combination of a

specific caliber, barrel, stock or grip, sighting system, and fixed magazine

or magazine tube if applicable. Competitors must not reconfigure any

firearm (i.e., change caliber, barrel, stock or grip style, sighting system,

and fixed magazine or magazine tube) during the course of a match.

That says that you can't change caliber, barrel (including barrel length), stock, sighs or fixed mags during a match.

By being silent, it means that you *can* change bipod, removable mags, devices like RediMags, etc.

B

For USPSA, MG 5.1.7 clarifies:

MG 5.1.7:

Competitors must use the same firearms throughout the match. For

purposes of this rule, a firearm is considered to be the combination of a

specific caliber, barrel, stock or grip, sighting system, and fixed magazine

or magazine tube if applicable. Competitors must not reconfigure any

firearm (i.e., change caliber, barrel, stock or grip style, sighting system,

and fixed magazine or magazine tube) during the course of a match.

That says that you can't change caliber, barrel (including barrel length), stock, sighs or fixed mags during a match.

By being silent, it means that you *can* change bipod, removable mags, devices like RediMags, etc.

B

OK, thats much morer helpful - thanks for the reference.