Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Point Attachment Plate

jbullgpd

I posted this question in the gunsmithing forum and for a week no reply so I figured I would come back to my home, the 3 gun forums for some help......

I am trying to attach my new GG&G single point attachment plate to my AR15 work gun. I bought a wrench to take the nut off the buffer tube to take the tube off but as I got it set up in the press and gave a little tension I realized it is staked down. So please any suggestions on how to get past the staking here with out mauling up my tube or nut. Never doen this before and I don't like breaking my work gun, hate to have it down for long maintenance. Thanks for any help on this.

How deep is the staking? If it's just slight, you can probably just torque right through it. You probably only have to back off the lock ring about a quarter turn. Then you can rotate the tube out of the lower receiver. If it's very deep and strong, you may have to sacrifice the buffer tube and purchase another one.

Sorry if it's not very helpful.

Erik

This is my wrench. It takes a good whack with a hammer or rubber mallet to loosen the castle nut using this wrench. These aren't available anymore.

M4stockwrench.jpg

This is the new DPMS wrench which Brownells sells for $28.00 (part # 231-000-229)

231000229.jpg

This new wrench made by Brownells looks promising but I haven't used one yet. The replaceable nubs that allow it to work on CAR and M4 stocks is a neat idea. It sales for $60 (part # 080-000-291) and the 3pk replacement M4 pins are $20, 3pk of CAR pins are $8

080000291.jpg,080000291a.jpg

Thx Erik, any bit helps, It is heavily staked. Its a DPMS lower. I gave it all my might the other day and it didnt budge. I have the half moon looking wrench, not from brownells but similar. Haven't tried the hammer technique. I was hoping not to have to buy a new tube but just might have to suck it up and get one. We shall see.....

The staking is usually pretty shallow... you might try using a pin punch and small hammer to push the staked metal back out of the castle nut notch. Alternatively, dremel the whole staked area (receiver plate and castle nut), then replace the castle nut with a new one - the receiver plate will be replaced by the GG&G plate anyway, right ? Unless you mangle the disassembly process, the buffer tube itself should be unaffected, as the staking is nowhere near it.

Good luck.

If you have to have a single point sling attachment, get an "agency" attachment. Lots of people make them.

(They're called "agency" sling points because some departments/agencies do not allow any modification that requires tools. As the new one simply slips over the tube and clamps down, it's kosher.)

Or, dremelize it. If you have a steady hand you should be able to cut off the locked section without even touching the tube underneath.