Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recamber 9x21 Barrel

kranzjdw

You can rechamber it but 9x21 is a tapered case and Super is straight wall. The resulting chamber will be about .015 larger in diameter at the base and bulge brass at the base. I have seen it done but the result is NOT optimal.

You can rechamber it but 9x21 is a tapered case and Super is straight wall. The resulting chamber will be about .015 larger in diameter at the base and bulge brass at the base. I have seen it done but the result is NOT optimal.

+1 to that, I have one that was modified in this way. It works fine, shoots fine, but the brass looks strange after being fired. I always case-pro the brass before reloading (EGW U die would probably be just about as good.) Being set up this way probably hurts brass life, but I shoot enough matches that I can't keep up with the brass long enough to tell the difference.

Peter

9X23 would be better. It will do everything a Super will do plus some. Brass from Starline is about the same cost. You use the same projectiles as a 9mm or 9X21. Load the 9X23 down to Super spec.

If you want a Super and nothing else will do...buy a drop-in Super barrel or have one fitted to your pistol. Bulged cases! Not good, not good.

Good luck, Buddy

Youi do need the proper platform in that the .38 Super requires a longer magazine.

?? - the only limit on magazine length is 170mm. Unless you are talking about a single stack gun.

Jeremy - can you provide more info on the gun? What ramp is it cut for now?

Youi do need the proper platform in that the .38 Super requires a longer magazine.

?? - the only limit on magazine length is 170mm. Unless you are talking about a single stack gun.

Jeremy - can you provide more info on the gun? What ramp is it cut for now?

Might have a small frame EAA or P9 (don't forget-alot of them were 9x21)

Agreed.

As an FYI, the Starline 9x23 brass is excellent. It was once called "9mm Supercomp" - only thing that changed was the headstamp. I have also used range pick up brass marked .38 Lapua and .38 TJ once it was resized in a 9x23 die.

There was once an aluminum case CCI Blazer factory loading for "9mm Largo" that I used for practice ammo in my SV without difficulty - I doubt it made it to major & haven't seen it for years.

Why'o why

9X21

1000 pcs= $115.70

SUPER COMP (9X23)

1000 pcs=$130.85

Come to the dark side

& save $15 per 1000

9x21 can be loaded as short as factory 9MM or out to 1.235 OVAL easy! ( 1.235 will run in Caspian mags just fine)

I ran it P9's , Caspians & now in STI's (no mag shims, thank you!)

9X21

1000 pcs= $115.70

SUPER COMP (9X23)

1000 pcs=$130.85

Great point.

Nobody else is going to shoot 9X21, or 9X23, so either way you will bleed brass.

Might as well bleed cheaper brass.