Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield, Xd - 9 Tactical For Ipsc (prod), Is It Good Choice?

lukipsc

Hi all,

I would like to ask you here (like on ipsc.org :)) what is your experience with this gun for IPSC Production matches.

What about reliability, accuracy, lifetime ect...thank for all helpful answers.

When I tested this gun it fitted to my hands in one time and shooting was nice...but in compare with Glock about reliability, lifetime...I have not any experience. Thank you for help.

BR,

Luk

I have about 4000 rounds through mine and it has been the best pistol for me. I just can't stand the shape of the Glock grip and the XD just fit so well I had to have one. If you go here you will fin endless information on the XD in competition.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Also go to Google video and Search ANPRACS. you will get about 60 videos of an XD in USPSA and IDPA competition.

I just started shooting Production in December with an XD-40 Tactical. I have about 5000 rounds through it and it has been 100% reliable. I love the grip angle and the STEEL magazines. I just used it to win HOA Production at the Double Tap Championship. It is a very solid gun/design and will serve you well. There are also many options for it as far as sighting systems.

There are several very successful GM's out there shooting XD's and I believe Rob Leatham won last years Production Nationals shooting one. I think it is just as competitive a design as the Glock. I would say buy one, shoot the crap out of it, if you don't like it, sell it.

Not to run you away from the gun (since many really like them) but I didn't have the best experience with it. I bought 2 XD's and within a month had broken three parts on the guns. I was shooting them alot (and caring for them well) but hated the fact that I had to send the gun to Springfield to get anything fixed even though it might be something as simple as a trigger spring or extractor. My experience with both XD's in terms of accuracy was that it wasn't as accurate at distances as my Glock or CZ. I did love the grip and trigger on the gun (from Canyon Creek Gunsmithing) and shot it well, I just didn't want a gun that I was afraid would break and be out of service for at least a month (I ruined a few major matches because of it).

my .02 cents.

I broke a trigger spring, roll pin, and 2 extractors in a months time... not really major parts, but still not something I could keep in the range bag. If Springfield or others start making the parts available, I'd think differently about the gun.

Dang, how did you break 2 extractors in a month?

That is very uncommon. The trigger and sear springs are available, as are the roll pins.

I have a couple XD's that have a lot of rounds and no breakage yet (knock on wood.)

Lots of folks are shooting the XD and really liking it.

I too have several XD some with lots of modifications and so far no real problems. Many (but not all) spare parts are available from Springfield and at reasonable prices. Springer does a great trigger job on them and now offers replacement springs and sears as a drop in kit, Dawson has great replacement sights. Mags are excellent quality and not too expensive. Safariland makes the 5186 holster that is a good price and suede lined which smooths out the draw.

I think it is a great gun for that division and at a really reasonable price.

Very thank you for your verdicts and I have other questions how is it with magazines and capacity, is possible to holt 18 with originaly dimensions?

I´ll buy one, I am sure now :).

Like I said, my experience may very well have been a product of bad luck and a pair of bad extractors (I still don't really know why stuff kept breaking...) With parts availability I think the XD is a fine choice.

R/T Perfomance: Thank you for link but I cannot use this base pad because I want use this gun for IPSC Production and there are many restrictions on guns. The Gold USPSA Production :).

RIIID: so we have only importer of XD which are made in same factory as HS as.

About magazines, I hear that Vector magazines are 18 rounds with same dimensions as has XD magazine but a little modifide on front of magazine. Do you have more informations about this?

R/T Perfomance: Thank you for link but I cannot use this base pad because I want use this gun for IPSC Production and there are many restrictions on guns. The Gold USPSA Production :).

RIIID: so we have only importer of XD which are made in same factory as HS as.

About magazines, I hear that Vector magazines are 18 rounds with same dimensions as has XD magazine but a little modifide on front of magazine. Do you have more informations about this?

I relized but when you said 18 rounds I assumed you meant mag extensions.

Is production a 10 round class in IPSC it is here in USPSA

Hs are XD only difference is Springfield imports the hs and renamed it XD for the United states.Thay are all made in the same plant in Croatia

Never herd Vector mags maybe someonelse will chime in

Like I said, my experience may very well have been a product of bad luck and a pair of bad extractors (I still don't really know why stuff kept breaking...) With parts availability I think the XD is a fine choice.

Hay Z-man is this the XD that I got from you ? :o

Edited by 1911vm

On the original question for use in IPSC Production class,

yes, both the XD's and the HS2000's are approved.

Remember that the International Rules require a minimum (first shot) trigger pull of 5 lbs, so don't go overboard on any sort of trigger job.

On the other hand, you are allowed to use what we would call a "full race" holster (and belt & pouches) in IPSC Production, provided that it's position is in keeping with the "behind the hipbone" rule.

Mag capacity is unrestricted for factory mags (so 16rds in this case). No extensions and magwells allowed, obviously.

BTW International Rules limit Production barrel lenght to 5", instead of 5.5" in the US.

Edited by SouthpawG26

On the original question for use in IPSC Production class,

yes, both the XD's and the HS2000's are approved.

Remember that the International Rules require a minimum (first shot) trigger pull of 5 lbs, so don't go overboard on any sort of trigger job.

On the other hand, you are allowed to use what we would call a "full race" holster (and belt & pouches) in IPSC Production, provided that it's position is in keeping with the "behind the hipbone" rule.

Mag capacity is unrestricted for factory mags (so 16rds in this case). No extensions and magwells allowed, obviously.

BTW International Rules limit Production barrel lenght to 5", instead of 5.5" in the US.

Thanks thats good to know :D