Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You Don't Need A Lot Of Gear

Short story - I shot a multigun match with effectively less than half of the gear I normally use, it was borrowed to boot and I did ended up just as well off as I would have with my own rig. If you think it takes mounds of gear to shoot multigun, it doesn't.

Long story.

Yesterday Rhino and I made one of our treks to Owensboro, KY for their fabulous Multigun matches. I met him along the route, threw my gear into the truck and we headed off. Now, we were in the middle of a thunderstorm when I was moving my gear, and standing out in the downpour wasn't fun after a crappy week at work and on 5 hrs of sleep.

After I signed in I was prepared to gear up. My typical 3gun/multigun rig consists of

• 1-2 SpeedComp SV mag holders for the pistol
  • 2 AR mag pouches
  • 3 6 rd CCW shotshell holders
  • either a Safariland 6004 thigh rig for multigun, a Kytac SooperHooper or the trusty ol Safariland 012

Well, as I was sorting through the back of the truck, I noticed in horror that my belt with pouches was not there!!![b/] Great, grand, WONDERFUL!!! Now there's a confidence booster. Multigun is a lot of things, but one of the bigger things is gear management. Well, that flew right out the window!

Lucky for me, ol' buddy Rhino saved the day. He loaned me a BladeTech AR pouch and a Para pistol mag pouch, one each. He also had one extra CCW 6 rd shotshell holder. Luckily, I put the 6004 in my range bag, so I had it.

As the match started and as we were shooting, I really couldn't tell I wasn't using my own gear. Rifle and shotgun loads went smooth. There was less stuff in the way. I really, really think that next time I'm going consider cutting my gear down.

I'm going to have to make it "over" to one of these muti gun matches I keep hearing about in owensboro. How many stages is it? At my local range at the BGSL we have 4 stages of pistol and typically one of rifle and shotgun. If you show up and say " I forgot..." or " I don't have..." shotguns and ARs are getting thrown at you from everywhere :D

I showed up last sunday with my trusty pump and more varmint AR than 3 gun with Fiancee in tow. I was just telling her I wasn't really into the 3gun thing yet I was still focused on the pistol aspect and Trey says "well get him there." She turns to me with out missing a beat and says "great more stuff huh" :wub:

You CAN limp along on little to no "stuff", but I have to agree with Butch about a major match without the right gear being a horse of a differnt' color.

At a large MG match, gear management from stage to stage is huge in the scheme of things and having the right stuff ready to go at the right time is worth a lot more than a few tenths in the long run ;-/

Just my .02553, but after almost 20 years of 3G shooting, I have to go with Butch here.