Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Autoloader Shooters

Bill

Did you ever notice how many auto shooters try to fire one more shot with the slide locked back. Thats even worse than us revolver shooters. We don't even have a visual clue like the autos. Auto shooter: "I noticed the sights looked different but I tried to shoot anyway."

Bill Nesbitt

Obviously new auto pistol shooters. Once you get grooved-in on the gun, the feeling of the slide coming to the rear, then going forward, stripping a round off the magazine and into the chamber is very different from the feeling of the slide coming to the rear and stopping, locked to the rear on an empty magazine. As soon as that happens, the experienced auto pistol shooter feels it, and knows the gun is empty.

Bill:

I have wondered the same thing myself. It amazes me that a shooter can't feel the slide locking back. Believe it or not, on my Open pistol (which won't lock back) I can actually feel when the last round is stripped out of the mag. I suppose that's the only advantage to shooting the old Super.

• 2 weeks later...

Ron, i used to be able to feel when my beretta closed on an empty chamber, did a reload, racked the slide, and nothing comes out, the IDPA SO's look at you real funny when you do that.

I have seen revolver shooters click on cylinders twice before too.... ok ok, it was me, but i was having light Prime strike problems

I also have seen the slide lock back and they pull the trigger, pull it harder, then stop and look at the gun. and my favorite, the slide locked back in movie, and CLICK CLICK.... that must be the clock ticking??

I never claimed us flat gunners were any smarter, just have more ammo