Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Ammo For Post Matches

Scooter

Anyone know what type of ammo works the best for side matches where the goal is to cut a 4x4 post in half? Round nose vs. hollow point, light vs. heavy bullet, etc.? I think the rules state that you have to use the same gun as the IDPA match, so I'll be using a 9mm. This is a team even so there are 3 shooters per team or else we'd be there all day.

Anyone know what type of ammo works the best for side matches where the goal is to cut a 4x4 post in half? Round nose vs. hollow point, light vs. heavy bullet, etc.? I think the rules state that you have to use the same gun as the IDPA match, so I'll be using a 9mm. This is a team even so there are 3 shooters per team or else we'd be there all day.
For a 9mm, I'd go with heavy hollowpoints.

Of course, the revolver shooters with .45 caliber SWCs will clean everyone's clocks. :)

I'm not sure if this applies to pistols...

at a recent 3 Gun match.. there were 2x4" we had to shoot (and knock over) with .223. The FMJs would often go right through, just moving it a tad, one nameless person (John B ;) ) was using soft points.. the wood just exploded.

In pistol calibers on stump shoots, once you get beyond shooting skill and selection of aiming points, bullet diameter and flat points rule. JHPs and such are second, with FMJ third. It doesn't take massive energy-- most anything can get through 4" of soft wood.

My own destruction tests against unruly trees indicated SWCs were far superior to JHPs. FPs should be similar.

BerKim

Don't spread that .223 FMJ info around too much ;) I once won an outlaw bowling pin match with an SKS over 20 people with ARs. Most of them were using AP ammo purchased from the gun show the day before, or FMJs. The pins would wobble some, but it was taking multiple shots to knock them down. I was blasting the crap out of the pins with Russian HPs.

I bought an AR to celebrate my victory, and immediately worked up a 60 grain SP load that would slap a pin down pretty quick.

Pins are much tougher critters than 2x4's or 4x4's. A major-loaded 125gr JHP from a Super won't go anywhere near through a new pin unless it hits a soft spot, but goes clear through a pine 4x4.

Don't spread that .223 FMJ info around too much ;) I once won an outlaw bowling pin match with an SKS over 20 people with ARs. Most of them were using AP ammo purchased from the gun show the day before, or FMJs. The pins would wobble some, but it was taking multiple shots to knock them down. I was blasting the crap out of the pins with Russian HPs.

Its true!

Last time I shot pins with a rifle, the EXACT same thing happened. I was using an old Colt M-4 upper (1/7) that they once sold through SGN for $400. Ammo was green tip surplus. Pins were at 50 yards on a 2x4. The rounds just zipped right through the pins. I thought I was missing the pins and was on a frustrating 2nd 30 round mag until one of the RO's started watching w/ binoculars and announced: "you are hitting them OK, but they are not falling." I traded that M4 for a Colt 9mm upper btw.

By comparison, a pin on a 2x4 will fall over when hit with a lead .22 rimfire bullet - even from a pistol.

For a stake shoot, I'd use some sort of soft point or JHP.