Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Shot Gun?

WFisher

One of the clubs near me is starting to host 3 gun matches so I want to gear up. I currently shoot an XD-9 in production. The only shot gun I have is an old Mossberg 600-AT pump. 28" with the selecta choke on the barrel. it is about 27 years old but I'm not sure it is the right gun to use for these matches.

After looking through this section a bit it seems that most are shooting Auto loaders just looking for some input as to which gun to get. I first thought I would just get a Mossberg tactical 500 pump. But also seems most vary the choke they use and the tactical mostly come with a short barrel 20" and a fixed choke at Cylinder. Hoping some of you can lead me in the correct general direction.

Thanks

William

A shorter barrel is not the best idea for a gas operated gun, and a gas operated gun will give you the softest recoil. The most reliable shotguns are the Benneli. Personally, I shoot a Browning Gold, and I feel like once it is tuned it is a great shotgun but beware they can be finicky. As far as chokes go I shoot an improved cylinder. Target to be close on shotgun stages. The real truth is the whole shotgun game it about not missing and reloading speed.

Yes it seems mag capacity or mag extension is another consideration also. stands to reason that the more it will hold the less you have to reload. I'm not sure if there are any trick reloaders for shot guns but stuffing them in the tube one at a time is not exactly a speed action :-)

Edited by WFisher

First I would start with my favorite shotgun thats a Franchi and get an extention tube plus you can stage one shot in the chamber and one rite under the receiver for a total of 9 rounds. now that the rules for heavy metal say not autos I have to learn how to pump, In that case, find a shotgun that takes 3 in. so that there is plenty of room to shuve 3 to 4 rounds at a time. I use 4-6round speed loaders on my belt. When reloading, don't bring the gun down, grab 3-4 rounds and take the rounds up to the gun. NOTE this is method works for some, everyboby has there own way. That is up to you. good luck I hope I didn't make anyone mad for letting any secrets out. Mostly you have to pratice alot and then pratic somemore.

At a big IPSC 3gun outside the US last year (might have been Fiji), a relatively unknown shooter either beat or nearly beat Michael Voight - president of USPSA in the shotgun portion of the match. The gun used? A Russian Saiga magazine fed open gun.

The fact that an unknown shooter can keep up with one of the world's best 3gun shotgunners indicates there is a technological advantage to the Saiga. Is a Saiga reliable enough to win? - it was at that match. Is it expensive? Well, have you priced the super-common JP open shotguns or a tricked out beneli open shotgun? Even my limited legal Super X-2 was about 2x the cost of the Saiga. Are mags available? Yes - US made 10 rounders. There are at least 2 companies doing conversions (Tromix is one).

You might consider such a gun - although the gun & extended magazines are brand new to the US.

Also, check your state laws. You might be banned from owning one due to some state AWBs.

At my gun club I shot at about the bottom of the list with IDPA shooters and at the top in tac shotgun. The reason is that I use a Saiga!!!

BTW you can convert a Saiga to pistol grip configuration at your kitchen table in 4 hours that is what it took me to do my first DIY Saiga. It will cost about 150 in parts depending on what you want.

Edited by Topmaul

Just as a point of info. A magazine fed shotgun is not legal in tactical or limited class. If you are going to shoot an Open class pistol and Open class AR15 then a magazine fed shotgun is the way to go. If you are only going to shoot club matches that will allow you to mix gun divisions, then it also doesn't matter. However, if you ever want to shoot a larger match you will have to stick to Open class if you are using any 3 guns that are "Open" in configuration.

A tactical or limited shotgun with a stock AR, and production gun is less expensive to get started than with Open guns. With that said, your existing pump shotgun, a single stack 45, and an AK-47 would be also be inexpensive if you shot in Heavy Metal class.

With that said, your existing pump shotgun, a single stack 45, and an AK-47 would be also be inexpensive if you shot in Heavy Metal class.

That may be the way to go I have a Mil spec single stack Rock Island .45. I'm not sure I like the AK-47 as much as I do the AR's since I was in the Marine Corps. I have plans to buy a Bush Master But, a cheap SKS might get the job done and be fun. I assume the SKS in 7.62 X 39 is legal in that category???

Why don't you go and compete with the gun you have, and look around at the other shooters and see what they have, and kind of see what appeals to you and then make your decision. It would be bad to jump and buy and then be buying another in a few months because the first pick wasn't quite the best for you. I shoot an 1100CM and I really like it. It has always been reliabe and works great for me. Others will say they prefer a SX2 or Benelli, or Browning, but I really think that it comes down to: know your equipment and how it works, know how to reload FAST (if there is such a thing), and if you have ever seen Kurt reload you will instantly know how slow you really are!!, and to repeat some statements from posts above, don't miss and have to reload if you can avoid it. Have fun with your search. Just a heads up, you are getting ready to start a game that is more addicting than heroin. Prepare your bank account. Don't even tell your wife about it. Better to ask forgiveness than permission. Just do it!

Whatever you get, make sure it either has interchangeable chokes or at least a modified choke. Cylinder bore is defintely NOT the way to go.

Avoid the Saiga since it's not yet legal for the divisions that you appear to be interested in. Maybe someday it will be legal in Tactical but not yet. And you don't want to be bumped into Open unless you have the proper equipment for all 3 guns - or don't care about your score.

All the shotguns have their issues. I shoot a Benny Hillized Benelli M1 primarily because I think Benellis are more reliable but the FN shotgun is a pretty good deal out of the box and it's easier to load than a Benelli. I like shooting Remingtons but since they're made out of recycled coke cans, they constantly break.

With that said, your existing pump shotgun, a single stack 45, and an AK-47 would be also be inexpensive if you shot in Heavy Metal class.

Can you shoot an AK in Heavy Metal? I thought it had to be major power factor?

The 7.62x39 does not make major. There are some 308 (7.62x51) AK rifles out

there, but they are not common or cheap.

Have fun with your search. Just a heads up, you are getting ready to start a game that is more addicting than heroin. Prepare your bank account. Don't even tell your wife about it. Better to ask forgiveness than permission. Just do it!

Steve

I hear ya!! Just shooting Production class With my XD-9 and some IDPS (indoor defensive pistol shooting) on Thursday nights with my single stack 1911 has got me addicted all over again. I was fortunate enough to shoot competition rifle and pistol (1st FSSG team Okinawa) my first year in the Marine Corps. Free 5.56 and .45 shoot til you hurt :lol: Went to the range a while back with a few friends that wanted to take the CHL class. I helped them learn to shoot groups free style and found out about the USPSA stuff from someone at the range. I made the mistake of going to a match and now you can see where it is all headed right :D

I will probably take your advice and go to a 3 gun match and just shoot what I have and ask a few questions.

Thanks

William