Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Exercises For Isolating Trigger Finger Movement?

5Shot

I agree with Flex, it sounds like you are gripping too hard with the strong hand. I noticed this problem at last weekend's match. There was a row of targets all at the same distance and I was trying to drive the gun to shoot quicker and so I was squeezing harder through the array of targets. I got all A's on the first 3 and 2 D's on the last target. All because I was milking the trigger at the end.

I sighted in the gun at the end of the match (I have the Mile-Hi next weekend) so I tried squeezing the grip harder with my right hand and the shots go low... I think the trick is to shoot fast with a relaxed grip.

Maybe a good drill is to set up a target and start with with your normal target shooting type grip and shoot slowly and then gradually speed up shot-to-shot and try to maintain the same grip pressure as the speed increases.

I agree with Flex, it sounds like you are gripping too hard with the strong hand. I noticed this problem at last weekend's match. There was a row of targets all at the same distance and I was trying to drive the gun to shoot quicker and so I was squeezing harder through the array of targets. I got all A's on the first 3 and 2 D's on the last target. All because I was milking the trigger at the end.

I sighted in the gun at the end of the match (I have the Mile-Hi next weekend) so I tried squeezing the grip harder with my right hand and the shots go low... I think the trick is to shoot fast with a relaxed grip.

Maybe a good drill is to set up a target and start with with your normal target shooting type grip and shoot slowly and then gradually speed up shot-to-shot and try to maintain the same grip pressure as the speed increases.

Just wondering.....say you are doing a Bill Drill - does your front sight move around on the target or are you able to maintain a perfect sight picture for every shot?

That is one of the things I am stuggling with in dry fire - how perfect SHOULD I be able to keep the sight picture?

5Shot

As you progress...if you are using a front sight focus and seeing it lift and return...and that seeing has become second nature...then you can plant the seed of the desired outcome in your mind. In other words, tell your body what action you want, and it will find a way to give you that. You are in control of how perfect the sight picture will be.

• 2 weeks later...
It sounds ridiculously simple, but one of the best things you can do is simply hold your hand up in front of your face, fingers curved as if wrapped around a gun, and move your index finger back and forth like you're pulling a trigger. At this point, watch your other three fingers. Do that until you see no movement in anything other than the index finger.

I've used this technique since I learned it from Ron Avery 5 years ago. Every time I feel like my hand is pulling the trigger I revert back to this drill and it usually gets me right again. It also worked great for support hand shooting.

I still do this while sitting in traffic or watching TV.