Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Detachable Magazine Shotguns

No.343

Will we compete against these soon? The Atchisson Assault Shotgun is a firearm first developed in 1972 by Maxwell Atchisson. It served as the basis of several later weapons, including the USAS-12 combat shotgun. Its direct successor is the AA-12 selective fired shotgun, which was featured on the March 19, 2007 episode of Future Weapons.

With the rules changing all the time, is it or will a it ever be legal to use a shotgun with a detachable magazine in 3-gun? I would bet not for a long time. It would be cool to have a semiauto w/ a 50 round mag. Sounds Heavy Metal to me. :D

You can use it now in USPSA, it just puts you in Open Class.

• 2 weeks later...

With the rules changing all the time, is it or will a it ever be legal to use a shotgun with a detachable magazine in 3-gun? I would bet not for a long time. It would be cool to have a semiauto w/ a 50 round mag. Sounds Heavy Metal to me. :D

You can use it now in USPSA, it just puts you in Open Class.

Open class? :wacko::blink::wacko: Whazaat? :ph34r:

Magazine fed shotguns are here you can get onboard or be left behind simple choice that is if your shooting in Open.

:P

I think that they will make it into tactical/limited. Its just a matter of time. Everything else we shoot is a bottom feeder. Why not shotguns?

Eventually that's were we'll all go, unless the political climate nueters them.

There are a few things that can be done to slow them down (would also slow the speed loader SG's) like mixing shell requirements (slugs on X, bird on Y, Buck on Z ie). But the truth is they would take over the tac/lim so completely that a lot of folks would need to shoot them before they will ever be allowed in.

All IMHO

Edited by kdmoore

Unless of course, there are enough of them already in competition that the other side sees them as more sporting than the Eve-ell, black assault weapon looking things.

Kind of as 3 gun world / USPSA as a PAC, kind of.

But I don't think that it will really matter in the long run, they'll be on the chopping block soon enough.

Unless of course, there are enough of them already in competition that the other side sees them as more sporting than the Eve-ell, black assault weapon looking things.

Kind of as 3 gun world / USPSA as a PAC, kind of.

But I don't think that it will really matter in the long run, they'll be on the chopping block soon enough.

The US government doesn't recognize high power, IPSC, IDPA, or 3 Gun as sporting purposes...they are "combat games utilizing military style firearms". See all the court cases regarding importation, making shotguns Destructive Devices, for the government's opinion on this. The government has felt this way since the GCA of 1968 was enacted.

This is a cultural battle though. The more people we have actively using military style firearms for constructive purposes, including competition, the better off we will be.

I'll second that motion!

In a similar vein, maybe we can get all these OEF and OIF vets into comps and vote pro gun.

Yeah, it's a cultural thing.

(w/o getting too political and getting this thread locked)

In a similar vein, maybe we can get all these OEF and OIF vets into comps and vote pro gun.

We're seeing a lot of vets returning home buying AR15s of all kinds because they want something like their service rifles. In turn this gets their family members interested and it spreads from there.

(thread drift on)

I think this is where Glock is doing well marketing-wise by bringing in woman shooters to Team Glock.

Once we get women (and moms) seeing other women compete and do well, we can get the kids hooked on it early, too.

(drift off)