Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polishing Inside of Mags

Jon Merricks

I just saw a Shotgun barrel polishing flex hone in the Brownells catalog. It's on page 66 top left.  Was wondering if anybody thought that this might work on polishing the inside of the mags.  I've put them in the tumbler but that just doesnt do the trick.  Yes I know I could send them to Grams to do it.  Just call me Mr. Fix-it or was that Mr. Break-it.

I'm just passing this on because I heard of it, never tried it, but it basically combines the drill idea with the scotchbrite.   Wrap the scotch brite (I was told red?) around a dowel and chuck the dowel up in a drill.  Then with the drill turning run it in and out of the mag.  Supposed to polish 'em up great.  

(Edited by DBChaffin at 10:25 am on Nov. 5, 2002)

The drill idea sounds good, but the way that I have been doing it is: I have a piece of steel that I wrap the pad of scotch brite on . A piece of wood will work just as good. The steel is approx 1 inch in width, as long as it fits snug in the tube. Then I wrap the scotch brite around and I make sure that the pad is secure. Then I polish the living.........

out of the tube. If you do it correctly, you will feel some heat on the outer portion of the tube. Good luck!!!!!!!

(Edited by Law Dawg at 7:56 pm on Nov. 6, 2002)

• 3 months later...

I have one of the flexible cable chuck extensions on my dremel tool, the older, very small one that will actually fit up into the magazines.  I use a small felt polishing wheel and a bit of simichrome to polish the inside of my magazines.  Works great on the flat surfaces, but I still haven't found a way to get into the corners yet.