Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Focus And Speed Eyes Exercises For Practical Shooting?

Rosshooting

Hallo guys. Can you share some focus and speed eyes exercises for practical shooting please! That is one of the key elements of the speed shooting for my opinion so I will be grateful if you help me to develop greater level of that skill. Thanks'

• 3 weeks later...

Talk to Travis (T_T) he comes by occasionally and posted something not too long ago on eye exercises. Max said Travis was doing some research in that area when I talked with him at the US Steel Shoot.

Pick 3 or 4 objects, one close, one medium, and one farther away. Focus on the close object, then jump out to the far object. Move back to the medium object, then the far one, and the close one. Do it slowly at first, then speed it up, and keep alternating.

Everything should get sharper after about 30 seconds of doing it. Helps a lot if you are focused on one object or distance for a while.

Mark

We had some Texas Rangers (baseball) coaches at our range recently to let them shoot and do some demonstration. One particular batting coach was shooting a 1911 with me and we talked about my aging (51) eyes.

He said he takes his batters to the box and runs a string to the mound with a ball or something tied to it every ten feet. He has them focus on each ball out and back so their eyes will focus quickly on various distances very quickly. The fastballs become easier to see and thus, easier to hit. Makes sense and is like the "See Clearly" method they teach older folks so the occular muscles stay stronger longer.

So here I am at age 51. My right eye is much stronger than my left. I am right eye dominant and shoot mostly LTD. The coach figured my right eye was getting all that excercise from looking through the iron sights to the target and back and kept strong while the left didn't get the same focus excercise.

And he gets $100,000+ a year to tell players that stuff!

So, Mark you are right on track! And it was free!!!

For me its more about the BRAIN, specifcally that my brain can acknowledge the information my eyes send it, it doesn't matter how fast my eyes focus if I can not comprehend what they are seeing.

Train your brain and the eyes will do all that is necessary.

Edited by Crusher

For me its more about the BRAIN, specifcally that my brain can acknowledge the information my eyes send it, it doesn't matter how fast my eyes focus if I can not comprehend what they are seeing.

Train your brain and the eyes will do all that is necessary.

When I was young it was about telling my brain not to look at the slide moving, the brass ejecting etc. Now that I'm older and can't see clearly within 3' of my face I need the focus.

Or a seeing eye dog....

Anything you can come up with, that will train you to quickly shift your focus from object to object, is a good thing. The more you practice, the more you'll be able to keep track of many things at the same time. So much so that it will, at times, seem like you're "seeing everything" at once.

Here's one I just came up with after reading this thread. (And it has an added benefit of training you to use your peripheral vision to locate the upcoming focal object. As opposed to repeatedly focusing where you know the focal objects will be.)

Look across the room, and establish and area about as wide, angularly, as you would encounter targets spaced out on a stage. Standing at one end and looking across my living room, there's all sorts of things to focus on at various elevations and distances. (Light switch, screws in the light switch cover, door nobs, letters on the TV housing, names on CD cases, corners of tables, etc....) Pick something and bring it into sharp focus. Then find another random focal object in your peripheral vision, then bring it into sharp focus. Keep repeating that. With a little practice I noticed I got a lot quicker at not only bringing objects into sharp focus, but finding the next object peripherally as well.

be

I have been working with Shultz Table. It is for widening the vision for speedreading. After doing it more than a few times and then dry firing my transitions seems to be get easier. If you would like to try it here is the web site: http://www.ababasoft.com/wider_eye_span/shultc.swf

Please let me know if it seems to work for you.

Thanks

mike