Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revo And The 3-gun

aerosigns

One of the clubs close to me has 10 3-gun matches scheduled for this year, plus the Area 5 sectional.

I have access to 1 or 2 AR's so I thought I might go play. I have been giving this a lot of thought, but since I don't currently shoot it I don't understand the classes. I guess I don't see how the intermingling of classes gets put into a group.

Does anyone shoot a Revo in 3-gun? If so what class and what type of shotgun do you use. I have all pump guns to work with. I don't own an auto shotgun, so I don't know if this already eliminates me from being competitive because of equipment. :huh:

Is is simply not competitive to shoot a Revo in 3-gun?

I have considered going all S&W. With an M&P AR-15, a S&W autoloader shotgun, and a 625. :D

One of the clubs close to me has 10 3-gun matches scheduled for this year, plus the Area 5 sectional.

I have access to 1 or 2 AR's so I thought I might go play. I have been giving this a lot of thought, but since I don't currently shoot it I don't understand the classes. I guess I don't see how the intermingling of classes gets put into a group.

Does anyone shoot a Revo in 3-gun? If so what class and what type of shotgun do you use. I have all pump guns to work with. I don't own an auto shotgun, so I don't know if this already eliminates me from being competitive because of equipment. :huh:

Is is simply not competitive to shoot a Revo in 3-gun?

I have considered going all S&W. With an M&P AR-15, a S&W autoloader shotgun, and a 625. :D

If it's USPSA there are 4 divisions:

Limited: All iron sights limited capacity Shot gun (9 at the buzzer), a "limited" legal hand gun ( I have used my revo here), and most folks shoot an AR15 variant.

Tactical: Same as limted but one optical sight allowed on the rife.

Open: Well, open.

He Man: A big hand gun (.45, .44, etc) a major power factor rifle (.308, 3006, etc) and a big shotgun.

It is very hard to "win" with a revo and/or a pump shot gun; can you be competetive? Hell yeah! Play a few times and see what you want to do next. I have seen 3-round capacity bolt-action shotguns, short pump guns, M1's, Ruger mini 14's and, of course revo's.

There are lots of other rules and restrictions, bit I wouldn't sweat any of them at this point. I *usually* shoot a Remington 1100 with the speed ramp modification on the carrier button and a 10 round extended tube, a Colt carbine length .223 rifle and my limited division Para (although the revo comes out more and more lately).

He Man: A big hand gun (.45, .44, etc) a major power factor rifle (.308, 3006, etc) and a big shotgun.

Iron Man can be done with a 625, a Pump Shotgun, and a Scout Squad or other 308/30 06 rifle.

Ask 10MM Dave about three gun with a revolver. IIRC he did the A7 three gun match last year with his 610.

The main thing to remember on Three Gun is one open gun puts all three in Open Division. Tactical Division seems to be popular. It can be done with an 8 shot, a 9 shot shotgun, and a rifle with iron sights and one optic.

Regards,

As far as your pistol goes, you will be at a disadvantage.

The classes are do not limit the # of rounds in the handgun, just dots and comps.

He-Man or heavy metal does have an 8 or 10 round limit depending on the rules being used. This would be your best bet with the 625. You need a pump 12 gauge (check) and a major rifle like Mitty says. If you are shooting an AR then you will be competing against Hi Cap sti and glock pistols.

If your goal is to have fun, do it. If you will cry if you lose, stay home.

ps, I shot the Fort Benning 3 gun with a 625 and a garand. It was a lot of fun.

Cliff

Well I will be kind of stuck due to the way the club shoots the matches.

It's all USPSA by the way.

In the morning they shoot 5 stages of handgun. So you have to decide what your going to do right there. If I want to shoot my Revo then that's what I have for the whole match. That's where it comes in if I'm already so far down it doesn't make sense to even compete against guys who shot a bottom feeder. (Although there have been rare matches that the only class I wouldn't have won was Open.)

After lunch they shoot 2 stages of Rifle, and 3 stages of Shotgun.

I live in Illinois where all shotguns for hunting are limited to 3 total rounds, so that's where all my shotguns currently live.

I have looked at the Saiga Shotguns, but because of the magazine reloads I think that puts you right into open class. Right or Wrong on this one?

I have looked at the Saiga Shotguns, but because of the magazine reloads I think that puts you right into open class. Right or Wrong on this one?

I haven't actually seen any of those in action, and I won't claim to be an expert on that specific issue, but I haven't seen anything in the rules that would automatically put the Saiga into open only for the detachable mag feature.

That could change of course.

but I haven't seen anything in the rules that would automatically put the Saiga into open only for the detachable mag feature.

Check Shotgun Competition Rules 2004 US Appendix D2 #8 Detachable magazines=NO, Only allowed in Open per D1 #8

regards

Gary is correct ! A detachable magazine will put you into open.

If you are shooting USPSA Multi-gun A wheelgun is quite competitive (bottom feeders are limited to 8 rnds in the mag) if you don't let the capacity thing(handguns) get into your head.

Last year I shot my 625 in the Kentucky Multigun match. It was the first time I have used a Pump shotgun (I've always shot auto loaders) and the long guns were actually the thing holding me back the most that weekend. :( (couldn't hit squat with my M1a that day)

It sounds to me that your club is actually shooting a 3-gun tournament (no combination stages, and each type weapon in it's own division.......that would allow you to shoot a wheel only against other wheels, and not against bottom feeders.

3-gun/multigun is a blast, shooting a wheel in it and kicking some bottom feeders butts is AWSOME ! :)

Hopalong

After your wise counsel I have decided on a plan.

1. Keep shooting the Wheelie.

2. Change the magazine and barrel on my pump smokewagon, and go with that ($112 in parts)

3. Make up the difference with the AR. ;)

In an earlier version of life I used to train often with my pump shotgun.

Luckily I get a pretty fair amount of practice in on the M-4 every day or so. :ph34r:

Hop - I think you have the correct definition about a 3 gun tournament. I know that the stages never use all three guns at once. I am just not sure how the scores get merged.

Cliff - with good Coors Light thinking stated it best.

If your goal is to have fun, do it. If you will cry if you lose, stay home.

Thanks guys. I will let you know in May how that works out. Their first shoot is in April, on the same day as the WI Section.

Aerosigns:

If you are shooting a 3-Gun Tournament (three seperate matches in one, ie. pistol, rifle, shotgun, with NO Multi-Gun Stages) as Hopalong stated, then Revolver can be a huge ADVANTAGE for you. If you are the only revolver guy there (unfortunately, this is usually the case at 3-guns), you could conceivably get 100% for the pistol portion of the Tournament. With half the stages being handgun (and THEORETICALLY, half the match points), you could be left sitting pretty when all the aggregates come in (when they add the match points for all 3 disciplines). This is a bit of a "loophole" in the system. Oh, the look on those bottom-feeders faces when they see that!!! :P

Edited by Barrettone

but I haven't seen anything in the rules that would automatically put the Saiga into open only for the detachable mag feature.

Check Shotgun Competition Rules 2004 US Appendix D2 #8 Detachable magazines=NO, Only allowed in Open per D1 #8

regards

I used to own a Saiga. Now I wish I hadn't sold it but at the time you could not get any mags over 5 rounds, other than 8 rounders from Mother Russia for $125 a pop, and there wasn't a hint of someone tooling up to make some. Now you can get US made 10 rounders and convert it into a very competitive open shotgun. The one I owned NEVER malfunctioned and I probably shot a good 700 rds through it without ever cleaning it. It ran like, well...it ran like an AK!

I shot one 3-gun with a wheelie but there wasn't prizes involved nor was it a multi-gun match. He-man wasn't a recognized category at this match but I still shot the 625, my 870, and my M1A scout rifle. It was too much fun!

Careful Jim. 3-gun is very addicting no matter what you shoot. :ph34r:

regards

There you go!

Well after really investigating Shotgun prices at the gun show, and at local shops I have made up my mind.

For about $100 I can convert one of my Mossberg 500's over to an 8 shot. I have one that I have used before to point at people when I was speaking to them with my command voice. So I trust it very much.

Next I need to come up with a rifle that no one would think of just to keep the 'Land of Misfit Toys' motif going. Possibly a Japanese bolt action sniper rifle, or a Lee Enfield with a Pederson Device.

If you want to see a Saiga in action check out this video. Cavalry Arms.com

Hey anyone got any suggestions of must have shell carriers or other go fast stuff.

Hey anyone got any suggestions of must have shell carriers or other go fast stuff.

I use the California Competition speed strippers almost exclusively. I keep seven on my belt, if memory serves correct. Some of them are the 4 shell holders, though.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...+SPEED+STRIPPER

Last year at one of the weekend DPMS matches there was a shotgun stage with about 42 rounds, at least, and I ended up having to dig through the empty shells on the ground in front of me, hoping that someone else had dropped a loaded round, to take the last piece of steel that was laughing at me. That was the first time I ever completely ran out of ammo. The next day I ordered one of the 3-gun gear armbands, that Dillon stocks, as a safety net. It has since come in handy.

Next I need to come up with a rifle that no one would think of just to keep the 'Land of Misfit Toys' motif going. Possibly a Japanese bolt action sniper rifle, or a Lee Enfield with a Pederson Device.

I am going to give this a try next month and I'm going to use my son's Legacy Puma 454 model 92. I trust you don't have to load on the clock?? If you do, then I'd be faster with the other rifle we own - a 308 encore.

I like the CA. speed strippers too. Shop around for the best prices.

Depending on who you're playing with, the rules can differ. The crowd around here was playing SMG rules so my belt rig had to accomodate all three guns in any given stage. It's hard to carry too much ammo; sometimes even harder to remember where you put it and then reach it when you do... :ph34r:

Hi Jim,

Shawn's going to be shooting wheelie too (You saw the 25-2), and it looking like Johnny U may too. Heck if I can convince Shawn that a 610 is a good idea for me until I decide what to do with what is left of my open gun after the WIIT, I might too.

There are also 2-3 other wheelgunners out there who more often than not get squadded with us.

You're more than welcome to join our Squad! Someone's got to keep Shawn in line! :)

Hi Jim,

Shawn's going to be shooting wheelie too (You saw the 25-2), and it looking like Johnny U may too. Heck if I can convince Shawn that a 610 is a good idea for me until I decide what to do with what is left of my open gun after the WIIT, I might too.

There are also 2-3 other wheelgunners out there who more often than not get squadded with us.

You're more than welcome to join our Squad! Someone's got to keep Shawn in line! :)

I don't know what you are talking about. The parts I scavenged off your gun worked just fine for me!!! Congrats to Shawn on makin' the jump to the wheelie. We could use a few more ladies in the camp too...hint, hint... ;)

I don't know what you are talking about. The parts I scavenged off your gun worked just fine for me!!! Congrats to Shawn on makin' the jump to the wheelie. We could use a few more ladies in the camp too...hint, hint... ;)

At least the link works! <_<:wacko::)

C'mon out Jim, we've got a bunch of extra gear and you're more than welcome to use it!!! Hell, that just gives me the excuse to lend you my AR and use my M1 Garand instead. Guess I'll just have to blow targets off the sticks at 5 yards again like last year and piss all the grumpys off!!! :blink::D:lol::lol::lol: YEEEE-HAW!!!

Always bad when the wife calls in backup! :ph34r:

Is an iron sighted lever action rifle viable for any of this stuff? The only rifles I own are a Savage 99 and a Marlin Guide Gun. I think either one of those would compliment my 625 quite nicely.

The Puma... that's also a lever action, isn't it? Somebody needs to make a short lever gun in .500 S&W. It's a ridiculous revolver cartridge, but it would be great in a lever action.

Dave Sinko

That's a good idea. I could get a Winchester rifle with the big "Rifleman" loop for those old enough to remember the show. I could reload like Chuck Connors, but that would break the 180. Otherwise I thought about one of those western rifles that has a revolver cylinder in it.

Shawn - I'm with you for the match in May. I will be at the the WI Section on the same day as the April match. I have my shotgun good to go. But I don't know what kind of ammo to bring. Any suggestions there as far as load and no. of rounds.

As far as rifle you bring the AR, and I already have plenty of ammo for that one.

Is there any kind of limit to the round count for rifle / shotgun stages?

Everyone stay tuned. I will post as soon as possible about our clubs upcoming match in May. Right now we are planning a 6 classifier day. Not sure yet if it will be the same day, but we are also planning to shoot 4-6 ICORE stages in the afternoon at several of our shoots.

Shawn - I'm with you for the match in May. I will be at the the WI Section on the same day as the April match. I have my shotgun good to go. But I don't know what kind of ammo to bring. Any suggestions there as far as load and no. of rounds.

As far as rifle you bring the AR, and I already have plenty of ammo for that one.

Is there any kind of limit to the round count for rifle / shotgun stages?

No worries about the April match...it's set to be a classifier match and maybe a couple of shotgun stages for fun, the 3gun really starts in May.

Opinions vary as to shotgun ammo but I just buy the cheapest 12ga they have at Wally-World the weekend before the match (we run a mossberg 590 pump that will eat anything and only really shoot it at 3 gun once a month, except for the occasional round of trap to garner funny looks from guys using $25K Italian handmade over/unders :lol: )

The shotgun stages tend to be around 16 rounds each (2 stages total) and the rifle hovers around 32 rounds each (2 stages total). I've got a few 40 rounders for the AR so unless things go seriously bad :( you won't have to reload. Hope you like iron sights! B)

No problem with iron sights, ammo, or mags.

For shotgun what kind of loads though. Like the 100 round boxes of trap loads, #4, #2, Buck, Slugs ???? What kind of stuff do I need to keep in the bag for just in case matches???

590 - Wow you guys are uptown. I have some 500's. I understand about the high dollar equipment. I was at a Sporting Clays range in Mississippi. Shooting a pair of 'pheasants' I had a jam on the second bird. Not knowing that they have alibis, I cleared it, reloaded and bagged the bird before it hit the ground. The RO said he had never seen anyone do that before. :blink: I guess those 'EYE'talians don't hunt like that.

Tell your friends weather permitting we (Milan) are shooting 4 small stages Sunday at 10:00, then a small break change targets, and then the same 4 stages shot as ICORE. Each match has it's own sign up fee. The USPSA is $7 this week, and I think ICORE is $5.

If anyone comes follow the main road of the club all the way to the end, park where you see other cars, walk to where you hear shooting. :lol: