Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sending Ammo Ahead For A Match?

I'm going to the SSM 3 gun match at the end of the month. I was going to send some ammo to my friend in AZ so I don't have to bring it on the plane.

What is the best way to send it? US mail, UPS, FEDEX? Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

For those of us who don't want to click and go there :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Postal Service: Shipping of Ammunition is Prohibited

Ammunition (Cartridges, small arms) is a nonmailable hazardous material. "Under no circumstances may any nonmailable hazardous material, restricted matter, or perishable matter be deposited for mailing."

Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable Mail

Cartridges, small arms - Appendix A - Hazardous Materials

UPS Requirements:

1. Pack ammo within a sturdy cardboard box, gross weight limit of 66 pounds.

2. Print ORM-D label, cut out and tape to a least one side of box.

3. Take package to a UPS Customer Center only - NOT at Drop-Off Box, The UPS Store, Mail Boxes etc., Sonic.

Per UPS:

UPS accepts domestic ground shipments of ammunition that have been classified by the shipper as "Cartridges, small arms", "ORM-D" (Other Regulated Material). The package must be properly marked according to the requirements of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR). Contact the Hazardous Material Support Center at 1-800-554-9964 for details on regulatory information.

FedEx Requirements:

Per FedEx, 10/26/2006:

HazMat Training is required to qualify to ship all Hazardous Materials. Ammunition is a Hazardous Material. No Drop-Off, package must be picked up by FedEx. See How to Qualify.

Additional shipping information and procedures at CartridgeCollectors.org.

Label meets requirements of 49 CFR 172.316.

There's a bunch of posts on here on that topic. Basically try UPS at the main office, or get somebody with a daily pickup to get it into the system (properly labelled, of course).

Brown cardboard box. Go to the local Mailboxes, etc. Weighed it, labeled it and shipped it. Got my tracking number and went across the street to Jack In The Box. 5 days later it showed up (sent it Ground).

Rich