Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need a backup Glock ?

cruncher_block

I'm a southpaw. I almost gave you a hard time about your article not addressing it.

:lol:

As a lefty, I never accidentally hit the extended slide stop like you normal people do because my thumbs are on the other side. When I do a slidelock reload, my trigger finger moves up to the back of the slidestop. When I seat the magazine, the trigger finger applies enough pressure to close the slide very shortly after.

Sounds like you've sorted it all out a lot better than a lot of lefties. :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or I'm just overconfident.........

The law enforcement agency I work for teaches the over the top grab and push the gun away. Probably best for the guys that shoot the four times a year we make them. I figured out that 8 times out of 10 the slide would drop if I seated a mag really hard. If I put the trigger finger on the long release it does it 10 out of 10 and I don't have to seat the mag so hard.

Once I saw a locking block break on a Glock during a match.

That would end your day right there since nobody thinks to keep a spare.

I'd say take two complete guns if the match matters to you.

BB

Actually the truck parts kit has a large & small frame locking block. I'm trying to work up a soap dish size spare parts kit.

I've got the small frame (all I shoot) locking block in my kit also.

Soap dish I had was a bit flimsy but I found a Midway utility box (UB 16) that is a little bigger and flatter so it has the locking block, assemblied trigger, recoil assembly and assemblied striker.

Can't spell this morning.

Edited by LPatterson

Dillon sells a small, translucent blue plastic "stuff box" (at least that's what I call it) that should be ideal.

It is - that's what I use.

Another trick is to tape some of the small, bagged items inside the lid of the box. That way there's less rummaging around.

Or I'm just overconfident.........

The law enforcement agency I work for teaches the over the top grab and push the gun away. Probably best for the guys that shoot the four times a year we make them. I figured out that 8 times out of 10 the slide would drop if I seated a mag really hard. If I put the trigger finger on the long release it does it 10 out of 10 and I don't have to seat the mag so hard.

Not to drift this thread too much, but...

We are transitioning our agency to G21SFs, and we teach the 'over the top, slingshot' method as well. We also found (as you did) that if you seat the magazine with any force at all, most of the time the slide would close. We decided that we'd at least demo this to the students so that if it happened to them on the line they wouldn't think they screwed up and did something wrong, but the problem was that once they saw that it could be done, they'd be smacking the crap out of the bottom of the gun 6 times after a slide-lock reload trying to make it happen instead of simply pulling back on the slide.