Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated Bullets For 38 Supercomp

syme71

Everyone here will tell you no.

In general, I agree. THeory is: as the back edge of the bullet passes the hybrid hole that every gun these days seems to have, the high pressure gasses will blast away part of the pure copper plating (plating is pure copper) and poor accuract will result.

However, a local Master on the edge of GM has used Frontier brand with good accuracy. NOTE: the Frontier starts with a HARDCAST core, NOT a swaged one - and maybe that makes a difference. Frotier is the only bullet of its type that I know of. AND - the gun does "spit" particles- I have RO'd him enough to know. Not bad, but it happens. But the accuracy is quite good.

Ask the manufacturer about the bullet they sell and tell them what speed you plan to shoot it at and they will most likely ask you NOT to buy their bullets.

If the jacket seperates in the comp or the barrel big problems could happen when the next round hits... :blink: what ever was left in the barrel

Allso if you decide to shoot them anyway, you should warn the people you shoot around.

:mellow: But I may not know nothing

I have used them in my .38 Super for a year. Berry's Mfg. 124 grain round nose so I didn't have to push them as fast. I am shooting a NON-hybred barrel so take note of that. In the year I have had my STI I would safely say I have put 5000+ of these things down range and not had a single problem and this is at a 168/9 power factor.

From what I have learned you do NOT want to over crimp them as this will cut through the plating and cause issues. You will also want to make sure you bell the mouth of the case a little more than usual to prevent pealing the plating off.

I can't swear you won't have any problems as everyone loads their ammo differently but I will say I like them.

Joe W.

I have used plated 124gn CN FP projectiles for the last 3 years at 15K+ a year for Action Pistol. I run 4.7 gn VV320 for a 138PF and have had no problems at all. The advice of NOT over crimping is the secret. If you crack the plating it will peel, If you crack the coating on teflon coated projectiles they will do the same. I have picked plated projectiles out of the back stop and got them after they have obviously glanced off steel plates and the plating is still firmly in place.

That said, I still use 115 Zero HP for match 'cos they group just a tad better. Reason is in New Zealand I can indent plated @ nz$70/1000 against Zeros @ nz$139.50/1000.

Goldfieldshooter