Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines going AWOL

shred

So there I am at A2-- Just met BE himself and was all set to shoot the OK Corral stage-- jump out of an outhouse, shoot some bobbers, run up a ramp, hose 3 close targets, sharp left turn, down a ramp, shoot some more targets, reload, and finish out with 3 static targets, a popper and swinger.

So I come charging out the door, hit the bobbers exactly how I wanted to-- called the shots and hauled butt for the ramp. Got up the ramp, turned and shot the statics on my way by. As I'm turning, I see/feel/hear a magazine fall out of my belt. "crap-- but I've got a spare..", I think and keep going. I get to the reload and I'm grabbing air.. both of my spare magazines are gone. Oh shi... Grab the old mag off the ground and try to finish up.. Double tap a couple more targets and I'm out..

6 mikes and 2 FTE's. 1.7 HF.

Dropped me 25 places in the match.

Lessons here:

1- I'm a lefty and run my first two magazines laying down pretty far (ala Matt Burkett). The sharp left turn (righties watch for right turns) and slightly-too-low tension on the pouches combined to slide 'em right out. Never happaned before, but next time I'm going to put one of my spare mags in the vertical pouch in back.

2- When you have to pick up a used mag and know it's not enough, shoot at each remaining target _once_ to save on FTE's. I wasn't thinking that much at that point.

That was my worst stage, too. Cost me 40 match points or so. I was the first shooter and I didn't think I could get the bobbers on the first pass so I ran several steps to get them on the next pass. I ended up too close to the 180 so I had some happy feet, plus I didn't get a good presentation of the bobbers so I had four slow shots. Then I engaged the last targets in a screwy order, rushed the static to get the swinger, finished up the targets, and came back for a make-up on the swinger. The miss hurt but the time lost really screwed me.

But it might have been the best stage of the match.

Funny, that was my best stage at 23rd overall.  Watching the video I could have saved another second if I would have started shooting sooner at the close half cover target at the end on the left while slowing down for the two long shots.  My reload slowed me down because I removed the button.  I didn't want the mag to fall out like on stage 10 when while gradding the gun I pressed the mag button into the drawer and well....thud.

That wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for Eric's squad all gathered up waiting for us to finish.  Nothing like blowing it in front of a audience.

You must have been puffing out your chest and going into hose mode trying to impress the ladies squad. I wasn't watching, as I was trying to nap in the back of that truck after arriving at my hotel room at 2:45 AM the same morning.

I was very disappointed by my performance in stage 10. I had maybe two targets with a pair of aces, the rest were low A, with a C 6" below it, and a D on the first run-by target. Haven't quite figured what made me shoot like that. One of my two match misses was an A and a hit low in the hardcover.

Ouch!  Haven't managed to do that yet, but like everything else in shooting from perfect doubles to AD's I'm sure my time will come......

I have a friend from Arkansas that in addition to being one of the baddest men on the planet is an excellent IDPA shooter.  There is an unconfirmed story about him that during a match, he pulled a mag while moving, dropped it, then hacky-sack kicked it back up to his hand before it hit the ground, made the reload and finished the stage......think about how cool that would be!

lynn,

Thanks, I'm picking things up as I go.  That was a pretty short ledge on ok coral and I was afraid that the gun with a comp and big stick would be too long so I made sure it would not be an issue.