Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Fouling In My Sti Barrel

Chris Conley

Just loaded up 1000 lead bullets for my .40 cal. Shot about 100 round during practice and the barrel was so fouled up that the gun wouldn't cycle. Keep in mind that this is a fairly new gun with about 500 jacketed bullets thru it. Is it the bullets or does the barrel need to be broke in a little bit? Now that I have 900 loaded I hope that my bullet puller holds up.

Thanks,

Chris C.

Edited by headhunter25

Wrap a bore brush in Chore Boy copper scouring pad material and it will punch the lead out in one or two passes. Pull those bullets the easy way, out the end of the barrel.

You can buy the Chore Boy at any grocery store, about $2 and it will last a LONG time. Cut the knot off the pad with scissors, unfold it and you will have a sheet of the fabric. Cut it into strips the width of the brush and wind it tightly into the brush. Wind enough on that it fits pretty tightly into the bore. This works 1000% better than any other lead removal method you will find, fast and easy.

The Chore Boy trick works well for clean-up.

You may be able to salvage the 900 rounds by adding some jacketed bullets to your practice session. Firing jacket bullets will clean the lead out of the bore, as long as you don't let the lead get too built up. I don't think there's a magic number, but judging by the fact that 100 rounds gummed you up, I'd do a 1-to-4 ratio of jacketed rounds to lead rounds. The caveat here, is that lead build-up spikes the pressure in the barrel, if you let lead get build up and then fire a jacket bullet the results could be spectacular (but not very good).

This should get you through the 900 rounds of practice ammo over a few months without having to pull the rounds.

Just a thought have you slugged your barrel? or asked STI what the groove diameter is ? I had a similar problem with a Nowlin 9mm barrel after about 50 rounds of lead accuracy went to squat. well Nowlin barrels are undersized to shoot better with jacketed ammo, Cast bullets are over sized to shoot wel in standard barrels, put the two together and lots of leading.

• 4 weeks later...
Just loaded up 1000 lead bullets for my .40 cal. Shot about 100 round during practice and the barrel was so fouled up that the gun wouldn't cycle. Keep in mind that this is a fairly new gun with about 500 jacketed bullets thru it. Is it the bullets or does the barrel need to be broke in a little bit? Now that I have 900 loaded I hope that my bullet puller holds up.

Thanks,

Chris C.

Chris,

I've had the same problem. I've found that N310 and N320 are too fast burning to shoot with lead, in my STI. My barrel would lead up and keyhole after 100 rounds or so. I switched back to N330 and could tolerate it. My barrel had around 90-100 thousand rounds through it at the time. I switched to a 185gr Precision black bullet and still had horrible leading. I then tried the Master Blasters 180gr black bullet and have no leading. I can shoot the faster burning powders with no trouble with this bullet.

EG

• 6 months later...

A little on the aggressive side, punch the throat out a bit and polish the rim that the case headspaces from. I was getting bad build up with moly bullets as it was getting shaved off during chambering.

I'm always game for a throat punch or two!

Wrap a bore brush in Chore Boy copper scouring pad material and it will punch the lead out in one or two passes. Pull those bullets the easy way, out the end of the barrel.

You can buy the Chore Boy at any grocery store, about $2 and it will last a LONG time. Cut the knot off the pad with scissors, unfold it and you will have a sheet of the fabric. Cut it into strips the width of the brush and wind it tightly into the brush. Wind enough on that it fits pretty tightly into the bore. This works 1000% better than any other lead removal method you will find, fast and easy.

+1

works like a champ.

boreBrush001.jpg