Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm looking for recommendations on a portable heater to use in the garage. Garage is about 400 SF so not too big. Possible power sources are electric, propane or kerosene. I've seen a few around but not sure which works best.

What have you folks used that was most effective?

Angel

400 SF is going to be tough to heat well with anything but a forced air type of heater. I use a pair of Buddy heaters (one large, one small). T'hey help when it's 10F outside, but they don't have the mojo to heat 400 SF of high-ceilinged shop building. They may work better in the garage. The Big Buddy is the only one of the two heaters worth owning, BTW.

I have a little 'Tough Buddy'. It works well and was cheep at Lowes on sale, but doesn't heat a lot of area. It's also got the whole 'open flame' thing going on that makes me not want to reload or use other combustibles near it.

I have a torpedo heater its 75,000 BTUs and it heats my garage in about 5 min to about 80 degrees no matter what the temp is outside. They are around 185 bucks at Attwoods. It holds 5 gal of kersene and will last me almost all winter.