Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions About Bianchi Cup

mastadonn

Hi guys,

We had our most recent Bianchi Cup shoot at 5 Dogs Range in Bakersfield last weekend.

Had 12 shooters, which for us is a good turnout. This was the first shoot that we shot all four stages at. We have two plate machines, an action target runner, and four to eight positions for practical and barricade shooting.

We are fairly new at this game, with I think only one shooter that has actually been to a real BC shoot. So we are trying to learn the game from reading the rule book and what little we have seen on tv.

I am hoping that someone can help us out by answering some questions.

1. Are there any instructional videos/DVDs on Bianchi Cup competition, preferably one that show how all the stages should be shot?

I learned an important lesson myself this weeekend. When shooting off the barricade, don't let your hand get too near the cylinder gap. :-)

2. How does a Moore Stick Shift work? i.e which way do you move the lever for the mover?

3. How are BC matches normally sequenced? Is there any overlap of stages? Since we have only two plate machines and one mover, they seem to be log jam in getting people through them.

Any clarifications would be appreciated. Our next match is in April.

Edited by mastadonn

1. Are there any instructional videos/DVDs on Bianchi Cup competition, preferably one that show how all the stages should be shot?

Lenny Magill use to make some great videos of the Bianchi cup. I still have about 5 of them. He also had a real good video done with Doug Koeing that explained how Doug trained for the Bianchi cup. It showed him shooting the different stages and how he broke each one down.

I am sure there are a few other members here on BE that could answer your questions.

Yeah, the Magill tapes are the ones I was thinking of when I read your question.

The short answer to your sequencing question: it is not squadded like a USPSA or IDPA match. Long answer: When we shot an AP/Bianchi match it is usually a free for all. My club has 4 dedicated ranges for the Bianchi matches (barricade, plates, mover, prac.) so we just gear up and head to whichever one strikes us. There are generally 2-4 RO's who work and rotate on the ranges based on need (unfortunately, there are so few people who shoot that we can get buy with two <_< ). If the crowd is big enough, it is entirely possible that we'll have shooters on each event all at the same time.

We can run two at a time on the barricade and plates and 3 wide on the practical. There is always a backup on the Mover and there has been at any club I've ever shot at (including Bianchi). It is just part of it.

I'm taking a stab here on the Stick-Shift, but I think you move the lever to the same side that the target come from. If the target is moving from Right to Left, the lever will be in the Right position. One of the open guys, I'm sure, will chime in.

Congrats on get a match started. Hopefully it will grow for you and gown on people who have not shot Bianchi before. It is a great match.

Yeah, the Magill tapes are the ones I was thinking of when I read your question.

The short answer to your sequencing question: it is not squadded like a USPSA or IDPA match. Long answer: When we shot an AP/Bianchi match it is usually a free for all. My club has 4 dedicated ranges for the Bianchi matches (barricade, plates, mover, prac.) so we just gear up and head to whichever one strikes us. There are generally 2-4 RO's who work and rotate on the ranges based on need (unfortunately, there are so few people who shoot that we can get buy with two <_< ). If the crowd is big enough, it is entirely possible that we'll have shooters on each event all at the same time.

We can run two at a time on the barricade and plates and 3 wide on the practical. There is always a backup on the Mover and there has been at any club I've ever shot at (including Bianchi). It is just part of it.

I'm taking a stab here on the Stick-Shift, but I think you move the lever to the same side that the target come from. If the target is moving from Right to Left, the lever will be in the Right position. One of the open guys, I'm sure, will chime in.

Congrats on get a match started. Hopefully it will grow for you and gown on people who have not shot Bianchi before. It is a great match.

Big Dave is correct!

The Lenny Magill tapes. "Doug Koenig: Shooting Clean My Way" I've worn mine out.

Many smaller matches do not squad. Just go to the shortest line, although very few like to start on the mover or plates. My guess: look at the Supersquad at BC. They shoot Barricade, Practical, Plates then Mover. Very few like plates first or last. That will likely change with prone back.

Finally the Warren Moore STICK SHIFT; Yes move the toggle lever to where the target will be coming from. Move right from right, move left from left.

MJ

Dave's right about the Stick-Shift.......move the lever to the side that the target is coming from.

The mover is always a back-up for shooters, since more than one can shoot on most ranges for the other 3 events at the same time.

We don't squad shooters at our club and we have between 20 and 25 shooters at a match. They just shoot in any order they prefer, but as Martin said, most don't want to start on the mover or plates since "there's no 8s on plates"!

Keep up the good work promoting the sport out there! We need all the participation we can get.

Alan~^~

We squad up at our local match. The Range Officers travel with the squads (as shooters, we all are pitching in).

We seldom have more than one plate rack working well at any given time. WE run one shooter at a time on the plates...which keeps up even with the other stages.

One shooter at a time on the barricade...that is how of range is setup.

Donn,

Hey man great to hear someone has a action piston match on the west coast!!! But I am in Va.

I have only been shooting it for 3 years now in open class.

Looks like every one is steering you in the right direcion.. It is the way of the action pistol family....

Being just an expert and 2007 will be my 3rd time at the cup i cant help much.

The Doug KOeing tape is a big help man i have almost worn out my first one.. you can watch it a 100 times and stll learn something.Well at least i can....

The stick shift from Warrne Morre is the way to go on the mover..

I guess the main thing that kept me going in this game is the people.

Man it looks so easy. But it can be tough to hit the x ring...

It is a very humbling game some days..But you will discover that the action pistol shooters will help you all they can if you are willing to listen and learn.

Take it from me at first i would not listen that much but the more i do and apply the better i do...SO

My grand daddy always told me

" You have 5 holes in your head- 2 eyes 2 ears and one mouth use them accordingly..

You can get rule book from the NRA and they will send a attachment with the changes since the book printing. Get that and take some time to read it over it helps a lot to understand the game..

Hope this helps and I hope we see you at the cup this year so we can build some more stories..At the cup it is very serious but at a lot of the regular mathes laughing and pointing is allowed :)

Leroy