Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W FINALLY making a true 1911???

dirtypool40

Guys,

I just hit the S&W site to look for a Ti revolver, and under what's new there is a true, living, breathing 1911!!! Not some Reinvention 945 "decision by commitee", Ford Pinto, blunder but a real, uses all the right parts, forged frame, novak sited (oh well) 1911.

Has anyone seen one, know what they cost?

This was something I brought up somewhere here maybe six months ago. They are the largest producer of forgings, so they SHOULD be able to bring a "Kimber" to market cheaper than Kimber can.

Assuming we are not being fooled by some "Performance Center" run of 200 priced not to shoot, "experient", I say "HOORAY FOR SMITH, WELCOME BACK".

My advice / request: Take the bit between your teeth, don't let S&W go the way of British industry.  You are a powershouse, stop making retro collectors items, don't price them out of reach, and start innovating again.  Give us a true SMITH DESIGNED polymer framed 4th gen pistol, and LOSE THE DAMNED SLIDE MOUNTED DECOCKER!!

If you need motivation and want to see what can happen if you don't, look at Colt, once the best, now making curios.

The "USP" Should have come from America.

Guys,

I just hit the S&W site to look for a Ti revolver, and under what's new there is a true, living, breathing 1911!!! Not some Reinvention 945 "decision by commitee", Ford Pinto, blunder but a real, uses all the right parts, forged frame, novak sited (oh well) 1911.

Has anyone seen one, know what they cost?

This was something I brought up somewhere here maybe six months ago. They are the largest producer of forgings, so they SHOULD be able to bring a "Kimber" to market cheaper than Kimber can.

Assuming we are not being fooled by some "Performance Center" run of 200 priced not to shoot, "experient", I say "HOORAY FOR SMITH, WELCOME BACK".

My advice / request: Take the bit between your teeth, don't let S&W go the way of British industry.  You are a powershouse, stop making retro collectors items, don't price them out of reach, and start innovating again.  Give us a true SMITH DESIGNED polymer framed 4th gen pistol, and LOSE THE DAMNED SLIDE MOUNTED DECOCKER!!

If you need motivation and want to see what can happen if you don't, look at Colt, once the best, now making curios.

The "USP" Should have come from America.

Quote: from dirtypool40 on 4:58 am on Jan. 27, 2003

Guys,

Not some Reinvention 945 "decision by commitee", Ford Pinto, blunder

I wouldn't write the 945 off as a blunder. Duane tested a 945 and spoke highly of it. A comparison would be ineresting when he tests the new S&W 1911.

I talked to the gunsmith at the local S&W distributor and his opinion was that the new 1911 wont be in the same class as the 945. While the 1911 will have parts interchangability, the 945 already has all the extras that most people want except that it requires its own mags, which are a little expensive. His opinion was that the new Smith will be "another 1911" whereas the 945 will become a classic, like the M52.

All the same, if a 1911 is what is wanted, where better to buy one than from S&W.

The SW945 is a Performance Center gun and the SW1911 is a production gun. When you compare the tolerances side by side, it is easy to see the difference.

On the SW1911 , it looks like the external extractor is from the 3rd generation guns from SW. I fail to see that as an improvement over a standard 1911

I could see how it could be. Un/poorly tuned extractors are a major source of malfunctions in 1911 land. Really, there are only a few improvements I could envision being made to the basic 1911 design, and fitting a reliable, spring-loaded external extractor is one of them. Time will tell whether the S&W design fills the bill. I'll also like to see how easy it is to pull the extractor out of the gun for cleaning. I would hate to the lose the 1911's easy detail stripping feature.

I'll say this:  For feeding, extraction, and overall reliability, my S&W .45 runs circles around every 1911 I've ever seen, shot, or owned.  The S&W feeds empty cases - as delivered from the factory.  Get your stock 1911 to do that and I'll be impressed.  I really think S&W may be close to having the best of both worlds:  the reliability of a modern auto with the perferred ergonomics and controls of the 1911.  Lose the bushing (what a *stupid* rule...grrr....) and the barrel link and it just might be the perfect auto.

Let's not knock it 'til Dwayne tries it.  It just might be a good thing.

(Edited by EricW at 12:36 am on Jan. 29, 2003)

A Smith and Wesson rep came to the range last week during an IDPA match.  He brought the new "1911" and the  Walther P99 look-a-like in .45 ACP.  I was impressed with the 1911.  He said the firing pin safety operates via the grip safety.  It had McCormick parts, an external safety from their .45, Novak sights and the stainless finish looked like matte hard chrome.  I was impressed with the fit and finish.  However, parts of the gun are black (grip safety and thumb safety I believe-no big deal-doesn't affect shooting).  Either have an all black gun or all stainless.  We took several different brands of mags and they functioned fine.  He let us shoot it during the match and there were no problems.  It comes with 8-round mags that have a plastic semi-extended floorplate.  I asked the rep if he was concerned about harming their relationship with Kimber.  He said "We don't want the whole pie, just a piece".  We asked him if they would be making it in .40 caliber or .38 super; he refused to say anything and just smiled.    He gave a street price but I do not remember how much.  I do remember that it was comparable to the Kimber.  It has an awesome finish and I can't wait to have one in a .40 or 38 super.  S&W are you listening!

Oh yeah, the P99 model was cool too.

I just received a SW1911 to evaluate for a number of overseas mags I write for. I am VERY impressed with the overall fit, finish and ergonomics. The external extractor and firing pin safety are two items that should have been done decades ago. They have also relieved metal under the trigger guard for a higher grip - a very nice touch.

IMHO, this is a pistol on a par with equivalent guns from Springfield and Kimber - if not better.

It's almost as nice a gun as my custom Glock 21 (sorry, I just couldn't resist saying that)

(Edited by Krag at 11:41 am on Jan. 31, 2003)