Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arrrrrgh, Extractor!

CDRODA396

So, its supposed to be in the 40's and sunny both Saturday and Sunday...there is a six stage match, four of which are classifiers on Saturday, and a Steel Match on Sunday. I just got my Edge back from the smith two weeks ago and at last Saturday's match it ran like a scalded dog...I'm .16 from moving up to B Class in Limited and cant wait to get to shooting...

First stage is 3 Second Standards...step up to the line, sun is shining, its a little cool but a great day to be on the range...buzzer goes, bang! then nothing, perform immediate action, the buzzer goes, 3 seconds are up...look at gun, spent case still in chamber, next round attempting to get in there also but alas no room at the inn.

Clear it...move back to next line, same thing...go to Safe Area, pull out the extractor and the claw is broke right off...first round, first stage and my baby's done...14% on the stage (not nationally...probably 0, I dont have the heart to enter the HF in the Ohio calculator).

Borrow a box stock Springfield 1911 and shoot Limited-10 the rest of the day...average in the mid 45%...probably good thing, had to focus more on the rather "heavy" trigger (compared to my 2.75# Edge) so all was not lost.

Shot the Steel match with my G22...which definately goes bang every time you pull the trigger but isnt going to win any beauty contest I'm judging! Its' also got Truglo TFO sights on it...not exactly a match set of sights...did OK, but again, missed my Edge.

Its like buying a performance automobile and running it hard...you know full well when you buy it what you are getting into...it doesnt make it any easier when you have to bag your gun after ONE Round!

OK Glock guys, feel free to poke and prod, I can take it! :wacko:

Aftec!!!! My standard extractor went toes up at a Sectional, I had a good bit of money tied up in getting there, entries and so on. Swapped ALL of my guns out to Aftec now, AND carry a fitted spare standard extractor. I might pooch one stage with a failure now, but the match won't go in the crapper. I carry all but a frame, slide and barrel now as fitted spares, and am building the next two guns with a FULL set of spare parts too. The frustration alone of not having a simple cheap part makes the couple hundred bucks for a spare EVERYTHING worth it to me.

Dude

I hate to rain on your parade as far as opening the door for the "Glock Reliability" crap to start, but I shot a match last Thursday night, and watched 3 Glocks in my squad of 17 shooters not run for one reason or another.

Any "race gun", whether it is a 1911, 2011, or plastic is gonna have problems from time to time barring EXTREMELY high care and maintenance.

Any gun that is shot a lot in USPSA is run hard, and will have problems. Having spare parts is a MUST. Extractors and guide rods are at the top of the list. Springs, both for recoil and magazines are there too!!

The way I see it, it was a great learning experience, be glad it did not happen at a major match when you spent a ton of money to travel and be there.

One hint I will offer, buy 2 Aftecs, and make sure they BOTH work. NEVER leave home without them.

I bet you have a spare tire and a jack in your car or truck!!! SAME thing.

Dude

I hate to rain on your parade as far as opening the door for the "Glock Reliability" crap to start, but I shot a match last Thursday night, and watched 3 Glocks in my squad of 17 shooters not run for one reason or another.

Any "race gun", whether it is a 1911, 2011, or plastic is gonna have problems from time to time barring EXTREMELY high care and maintenance.

Any gun that is shot a lot in USPSA is run hard, and will have problems. Having spare parts is a MUST. Extractors and guide rods are at the top of the list. Springs, both for recoil and magazines are there too!!

The way I see it, it was a great learning experience, be glad it did not happen at a major match when you spent a ton of money to travel and be there.

One hint I will offer, buy 2 Aftecs, and make sure they BOTH work. NEVER leave home without them.

I bet you have a spare tire and a jack in your car or truck!!! SAME thing.

zhunter, I agree with all your comments, including the plastic gun assessment as I have broken the trigger spring myself, you couldnt see the thick sarcasm dripping off that last sentence! :P

I've only owned the Edge since November and its approaching 8000 rounds...most guns outside of USPSA/IDPA DieHards never see that much daylight much less rounds...like I orignially said, I knew full well the deal, just rather have it happen on my schedule if that's possible please! :D

HSMITH, I feel your pain to a lessor degree and have been working on amassing spare parts...as budget allows...and already have spare magazine springs and follower, a guide rod/spring/plug to back up the RecoilMaster, mag catch, complete trigger components...guess whats next on the list? I'll finish up with an ejector and plunger assmbly and then keep my fingers crossed.

I always weigh the advice on here heavily and after much reading on here, I had already decided on trying an Aftec, my delivery date just got moved up a little this weekend! It should be here the 15 th ...hopefully be back in business for this coming Sunday's match.

First stage is 3 Second Standards...step up to the line, sun is shining, its a little cool but a great day to be on the range...

CDRODA396 -- those stages sound familiar....Range14? Man, I'd say the day started off more than a "little cool," but I'm like a lizard, and not happy until June.

I feel your pain, though, and it sounds like you made the best of it with some other gear.

You probably know this, if you're a local shooter, but Sir Walter's having a special classifier match in March, so that's a chance to get revenge on the cardboard gremlins. :)

Steve

I never shoot for beauty, just glory! That being said, I had a trigger spring break on stage 4 of the Western PA Sectional...I caught it while dryfiring and getting a sight picture when I was up.

The lesson learned is to HAVE SPARES OF EVERYTHING! I didn't have $hit to replace it, but a friend bailed me out with his spare kit. Once I got home, I dropped $200 and make my own "Worst Case Scenario" kit that never leaves my range bag.

CDRODA396 -- those stages sound familiar....Range14? Man, I'd say the day started off more than a "little cool," but I'm like a lizard, and not happy until June.

You probably know this, if you're a local shooter, but Sir Walter's having a special classifier match in March, so that's a chance to get revenge on the cardboard gremlins. :)

Steve

Boo, it was Range 14 on Saturday, and Ant Hill on Sunday. I do shoot the Sir Walter matches and plan on making the Classifier on the 3rd...I had hoped to shoot L-10 at that match, and LTD this one...just have to flip flop them.

I'll look for you on the 3rd...I'll be pulling a little red wagon! :D