Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Match Greenville Gun Club

• 1 month later...

There will be a 3 Gun Match at the Greenville Gun Club this Sunday. 5 stages of multi-gun fun.

Time?

Roundcount?

Thanks

NS

Sorry about that. The round count will be approx 100 pistol, 50 shotgun, and 60 rifle. Start time is 10:00 am.

wi Dec 31 2006, 09:33 AM Post #24

Burned Out

Group: Classified

Member No.: 3006

I had mine done Oct. 28. A life changing experience that I would do again in a minute. I only wish I hadn't waited so long. I had a friend drive me as recommended, but alomost immediately realized that if I had waited 30 minutes I could have driven myself home.

Here's some of what I learned....

The bladeless laser is one of about 4 FDA-approved options. Generally your doctor will decide based on the results of the tests you take which of the lasers is right for you. The bladeless is meant for patients with thinner corneas, who would not do well with a flap cut. It also has a longer healing period and more discomfort during recovery than the other options.

The center I went to specifically recommends NOT taking Vallium before the procedure, as it relaxes muscles in the eye (along with the rest of your body). Since the success of the operation depends on you staring intently at the "aiming light" that flashes during the correction, the use of Vallium-like sedatives make it POSSIBLE (not a certainty) that your eye could wander a little. That said, if the patient is wound up enough, they will give you a pill after explaining the potential risk.

I felt only a little pressure when the flap was cut; no pain at all. But, when they folded the flap out of the way, my Wierd-Shit-O-Meter went off the scale. High anxiety. Deep breaths and some long-overdue prayer got me through the next few minutes, which did include a small whiff of something burning. A little freaky, but survivable.

I was on the table for about 10 minutes. The first 4 were to let the anesthetic drops get to work. After that, about 3 minutes per eye and it was done.

I had them do a "mono-vision" correction. Many people here have related how very happy they are with their prescription glasses set with the dominate eye focusing near (front sight distance) and the non-dominant eye set for infinity. I had them correct my eyes in this fashion. Mono is a widely recognized option, but most doctors assume setting the dominant eye to infinity and the non-dom eye up close. I explained my reasons to the surgeon and he had no problem with doing it as I asked. So far, I love it.

Within 48 hours I was 20/15 in my left eye and a little less in my right. Within 5 days they had settled to 20/15 in the left and 20/20 in the right. Depending on how much sleep I get (or didn't get) I sometimes use some inexpensive reading glasses for a while in the mornings for email and PC-related activities.

As was mentioned, there is a period of time required to let the flap cuts heal and fully reattach. My doctor understood I shoot pistols matches and would not be involved with any hard-hitting, head-jarring big game rifles or full-load shotguns. Even so, he recommended not shooting a match for a week or two, but said I would be OK after that. He also said the cuts usually fully heal in 1-3 months. In some extreme cases it can be as long as 6.

*A note about university vision centers. I was considering a local university here in Atlanta since they developed many of the bleeding-edge technologies that have become standard. A friend's wife, who is a nurse, stopped me. When she was researching her vision correction, she learned that they have a higher-than-average incident rate of post-op infection, and pointed out that those "school-based" centers use interns/students to perform the procedures. Sure, they're supervised, and I could see allowing one to learn-as-you-go with dentistry or hair styling, but not my eyes. My doctor has over 40,000 procedures behind him and is a mono-vision patient himself.

(Sorry. Didn't mean for this to be so long.)

ll you please print this and mail it to Milne? Thnks and hi to your mom.

^^^

If somebody can tell me what that (last post) is an where it goes...I'see about getting it there.

Admin.

Hi Flex

Looks like it belongs on the thread about Lasik Eye Surgery that is under "Physical Training".

Nurse mode off :D

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Edited by LChico

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...