Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650-shellplate Vibration

A have a new 650; after i have removed and put on again the shellplate of the press i see that reloading, when the shellplate moves cartridges from one station to another and stop in the right position it has a little vibration, so a little of the powder in the brass come out.

It seems to me that my old Dillon don't have this problem:

Someone can help me to solve, if it is a problem, this problem?

I would think that if this didn't happen when you first got the press, then your shellplate might be too loose.

The typical fix for spilled powder is to shorten the index ball spring a little.

Even with a shortened index ball spring, I've found that this can still be a problem with near-full cases. The technique I use is - while operating the press with my right hand - retrieve the next bullet between my left thumb and forefinger, and "brake" the charged case as it rotates into position with my left middle and fourth fingers, keeping if from "snapping" into place, and holding the bullet over the case mouth. Put another way, don't let the shellplate snick into position uncontrolled - even with a shortened spring.

No spilled powder, and it's a quick way to get the next bullet into the case mouth for seating... With a little practice, you'll find that it doesn't slow you down a bit...

Even with a shortened index ball spring, I've found that this can still be a problem with near-full cases. The technique I use is - while operating the press with my right hand - retrieve the next bullet between my left thumb and forefinger, and "brake" the charged case as it rotates into position with my left middle and fourth fingers, keeping if from "snapping" into place, and holding the bullet over the case mouth. Put another way, don't let the shellplate snick into position uncontrolled - even with a shortened spring.

No spilled powder, and it's a quick way to get the next bullet into the case mouth for seating... With a little practice, you'll find that it doesn't slow you down a bit...

GREAT IDEA !!!!