Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Timer Question

dcarter

I'm sure someone before me has asked this question and I'm just not finding it but most of the books I've read on the subject of practicing talk about measuring draws and mag changes with a timer. Can someone tell me how this is done with a range timer? <_<

Most timers have a par feature. The par feature is a timer within the timer that gives you a second beep at whatever time you specify.

So you set the par timer for 1.5 seconds, the timer goes off, you draw and get the sights on the A-zone, the timer beeps again (1.5 seconds after the first beep). These drills require that you be honest with yourself about whether you've beaten the 2nd beep or not.

+1 on what Pickles said.

I use the timer with the par feature to practice just about everything such as the draw, the reload, and just to react to the buzzer pulling the trigger.

Get one if funds are available, it will help you improve. Once you hit a goal such as a 1.5 second draw. Then lower the par feature to 1.2 sec then push yourself.

Good luck !

So you set the par timer for 1.5 seconds, the timer goes off, you draw and get the sights on the A-zone, the timer beeps again (1.5 seconds after the first beep). These drills require that you be honest with yourself about whether you've beaten the 2nd beep or not.

Have you been watching my dryfire & doesn't the entire length of the second beep count like with timed fire. OK, OK I start working harder. :rolleyes:

First and foremost, practice on perfect technique and efficiency.

Use the timer to measure your progress occasionally via the par mode.

Back that up at the range with live fire. Timers are good and necessary tools, but you can end up hurting yourself by worrying more about playing "beat the clock" that by working on technique. Good technique makes you faster without "trying."

FWIW from a former timer slave....

For live fire practice I have a regular timer, but for dryfire practice I use a software program from RU Ready. Saves wear and tear on the PACT timer and the computer's volume is adjustable (a big plus at my household).

RU Ready sells timers and (at least in the past) offered this program for free that turns your computer with speakers into a really neat dryfire timer.

I found it somewhere on their website. You may need to do some searching to find it.

http://www.ruready.com/

Bill