Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Day For Tec Tube Speedloaders

GringoPerdido

I am right handed, and had always speed loaded my Benelli using my right hand. Today I practiced using my left hand.

It worked well, except for the fact I broke 3 speed loader tubes.

The M1S90 has an Arredondo chute. I have never broken a tube before. They are pretty old, from about 1994 or so.

So, am I doing something left handed that would cause the tubes to break? Or are they just old and fragile?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. (I only have 5 tubes left... :(

:blink:

Thanks!

Daryl

(Benelli by TSS)

post-6394-1171080019.jpg

Edited by GringoPerdido

Opinions? Hell I have one. :)

I don't know much about those tubes, but I know quite a few of those "here's yer sign" jokes... (note smiley face above)

You loaders worked for a dozen years, then you did somethng different and broke 3 all at once ?

...You loaders worked for a dozen years, then you did somethng different and broke 3 all at once ?

Yep. That is what happened.

I just noticed something while inspecting all 8 tubes. 2 of them are the "new" style that came with the primer relief cut handles. The tubes are also different then the older version, having a relieved taper from the ears back to the slot.

This different design almost duplicates the way two of them broke as shown in the pictures posted above.

Maybe this was a high stress area all along and the manufacturer corrected this with the new design... :unsure:

Gringo -

You're twisting the Tec Loaders more when you load weakhand. They lock into the Arredondo chute *too* well and it's easier to break them when you shove the handle forward. I've broken two that way *stronghand* and one weakhand. You can do it but shove the loader straight in and then let it go, don't twist it.

Gringo -

You're twisting the Tec Loaders more when you load weakhand....You can do it but shove the loader straight in and then let it go, don't twist it.

Scout, I agree with you. I think I was subconsciously drifting left when I pushed...time to practice again.

Just an observation, but when static loading tubes strong vs weak hand there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in time, but when loading dynamic, like running, weak hand is way faster for me.

Thanks for the advice! :D

Ha! That was my first thought as well.

But as it turns out they are broken in a way that matches the new tubes, so most likely they will still work...

Sure seems like there would be a market in the U.S. for carbon fiber or aluminum tubes in 4, 5, 6 round capacity.

I would love to have 5 rounders for Open. But alas, Armstec has a pretty nasty hold on their patent and aren't seemingly open to folks modifying/borrowing, etc. their design for their own product. It's why Arredondo's chute goes over the existing load gate. I dunno though, maybe you could. I'll get with you on this Butch when I get back. If it's possible, I've got access to a CNC that can knock 'em out.

Rich